Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 50mm f/1.8 stuck on camera

Canon 50mm f/1.8 stuck on camera

I did a search and never found anything so I'm starting a new thread.

I was given a Canon 50mm f/1.8 for xmas and was really excited. I threw it on my 40d and started snapping away immediately. I was very impressed with my shots and quality from such a small and cheap lens.

Now I get back home and go to take the lens off. It turns about 1/4 turn and stops. I try wiggling it, pulling out and turning...nothing works. I apply a little pressure and the whole lens comes apart. The plastic lens mount gets stuck in my camera body and I'm holding the optics in my hand! I put it back together and try turning it off again. Finally it comes off in one piece. As well, when the lens was on my body the focus ring would not spin freely and the AF would not work.

I put my other lenses on the camera and test them out. Canon 17-85mm works fine, Tokina 11-16mm works fine, Sigma 70-300mm won't auto-focus.

I pack everything up and head to the shop where I buy all my goods. He says the focus ring problem occurs but he hasn't heard of it ever sticking on a body (I searched the internet and find it is not uncommon). We put the Sigma on a 50D body and it works fine. Upon further inspection of my 40d we notice one of the pins is pushed down, probably just enough to not make contact with the lens.

So now the lens AND body are being sent to Canon for warranty, even though the body is not under warranty anymore. It's problems are obviously due to the faulty 50mm lens, but now I'm scared they'll say it was impact damage and I'll be stuck fixing both myself.

Basically just getting the word out there and curious to see if anyone on here has personally had or heard of this problem. I am camera-less for 6-8 weeks now and not happy at all.

What a start to the new year.

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Canon 50mm f/1.8 stuck on camera

Sorry to hear that; especially since I got one for Christmas as well.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Guenther

That sounds horrendous and I am sorry to hear of your situation. I think all of us who have that lens will be very interested in knowing the conclusion to this after you hear back from Canon.

Real Name
    Steve

Yes I will certainly be checking the mount out but as with plastic it was loose anyway.

damn that sucks... I bought a 'nifty fifty' f/1.8 a week or two ago, but haven't experienced any of this. Best of luck with the warranty repair.

Dan

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Sorry to hear of your bad experience

I have heard of people occasionally having issues with stuck lenses - no particular one comes to mind, although to be honest, I really haven't paid much attention.

At least it's with the people with the best chance of repair - I hope you don't get any "issues" with the warranty side of things.

I hope that this gets resolved satisfactorily too.

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Sorry to hear that; especially since I got one for Christmas as well.
    If it's any reassurance, mine's been working flawlessly for nearly three years, and it's been on and off the camera many times.

Oh dear, sorry to hear about your lens and camera. It's very unusual to have a lens stuck but not unheard of. But often times it's a result of improper mounting of the lens. A couple of years ago a friend of mine received the exact same lens for Xmas, and in his excitment of wanting to try it out; I noticed he didn't have it align correctly before twisting it to lock. Fortunately I managed to stop him before he did.

Hope you get everything bad in working order soon.

Real Name
    Steve

I've had a look at mine and is a simple moulded plastic thing. Doesn't look worth £64 I mean £130.

But I forgot that you shouldn't turn the focus ring on manual; it appears to be working ok still though.

I can imagine if it did get stuck you would have serious problems because I cannot see any screws on it.

Well that cheap little lens is costing me more money than the lens is worth...236$ to fix the camera body. I am not happy I have to pay to repair a by-product of their faulty lens.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by GuentherPrice View Post
    Well that cheap little lens is costing me more money than the lens is worth...236$ to fix the camera body. I am not happy I have to pay to repair a by-product of their faulty lens.
    I wouldn't be happy either. Personally - I think if Canon were to offer the repair at no charge (under the circumstances) it would earn them more in good-will than the $236 they gained.

Is it worth writing to them?

Real Name
    Steve

The lens is under warranty and the damage is caused by the lens. I find it to be a very simple lens where I now take great care over fitting.

Although $236 would be cheap here fore such a repair, I'm quoted £200 + parts + tax just for a service; you shouldn't have to pay anything.