Thread: Jack

Real Name
    John

Jack

Shot in the middle of pea soup thick fog.
    1/1000sec, ISO 400, EV+4, 195mm
    edited with LR4

Jack

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: Jack

To much yellow, John.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by AB26 View Post
    To much yellow, John.
    Andre,

Thanks for the critique. During the edit it was like pulling water through smoke.

Real Name
    Christina

I like this image for the composition and mood. Can you lessen the yellow tone in LR with the colour sliders and a different WB?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    I like this image for the composition and mood. Can you lessen the yellow tone in LR with the colour sliders and a different WB?
    Christina,

Thanks for the critique and comments.

WB adj
    Jack
    Yellow desaturated
    Jack

Real Name
    Christina

Hi John,

I like the yellow desaturated version the best... the first edit looks stark to me.

Since I've found it helpful to see others edits of my photos I thought I would try the same with your photo. Even though I still have a lot to learn about editing I like my version ( a lot ) so I hope you find it helpful, even if you are not fond as fond of my version as I am ...

In LR I hit auto WB which seemed to bring the fog back (and I think the fog adds to the drama of the photo)

I decreased the WB temp by -10

Decreased Highlights by -10

Increased whites +31

Decrease blacks -7

Curves.. just pulled up the shadows a very wee bit, and did the same with the blacks... a very small amount.

I took the adjustment brush and sharpened the man and the tree by 25% and increased clarity by 20%.

Then I imported into Elements 9, straightened the photo a little, used the healing brush to erase the top bit of wood or something in the top right hand corner, and the clone tool, cloning from the top part of the left hand upper portion of the stump to darken the rest of the top part of the stump in the lower left hand corner which was clipped.

Jack
    Last edited by Brownbear; 30th August 2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: add comment

Real Name
    John

Hi John,

I like the yellow desaturated version the best... the first edit looks stark to me.

Since I've found it helpful to see others edits of my photos I thought I would try the same with your photo. Even though I still have a lot to learn about editing I like my version ( a lot ) so I hope you find it helpful, even if you are not fond as fond of my version as I am ...

In LR I hit auto WB which seemed to bring the fog back (and I think the fog adds to the drama of the photo)

I decreased the WB temp by -10

Decreased Highlights by -10

Increased whites +31

Decrease blacks -7

Curves.. just pulled up the shadows a very wee bit, and did the same with the blacks... a very small amount.

I took the adjustment brush and sharpened the man and the tree by 25% and increased clarity by 20%.

Then I imported into Elements 9, straightened the photo a little, used the healing brush to erase the top bit of wood or something in the top right hand corner, and the clone tool, cloning from the top part of the left hand upper portion of the stump to darken the rest of the top part of the stump in the lower left hand corner which was clipped.

Jack

Christina,

I like the edit and do like the atmosphere created by the fog. However, in the photo titled "Jack" I was about fifty feet or more away and could not capture both the fog and detail.

Jack

Real Name
    Christina

Thank you John... I think the fog stands out in your edit and my edit.. Anyway, I like your photo.

Real Name
    John

Thank you John... I think the fog stands out in your edit and my edit.. Anyway, I like your photo.
    Thanks Christina.

Real Name
    Robbie.

John,

I like the original, it has a very cinematic feel to it.

Altering the WB and desaturating take away from the scene for me, those edits seem to make the BG a bit over powering.

Robbie.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Ekins View Post
    John,

I like the original, it has a very cinematic feel to it.

Altering the WB and desaturating take away from the scene for me, those edits seem to make the BG a bit over powering.

Robbie.
    Robbie,

Thanks for the comments.