Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Android Camera Controls

Real Name
    Richard

Android Camera Controls

I have recently purchased a Nook HD+ tablet with Android capability. It can be upgraded to Android 4.1 with just a software download fix.

I want to get an app that will allow me to control my Canon 7D with the Nook Tablet. However, when I did a Google search, I found that there were numerous Android apps for camera control...

http://geeknizer.com/control-canon-n...-with-android/

I wonder which, if any of these apps would be the best for me? I want to use the control when shooting macros and for long exposures. Of course, I would probably find a lot more uses for the app once I get it up and running...

Real Name
    John

Re: Android Camera Controls

Richard - If you are also thinking of shooting for focus stacking, you might consider Helicon which has a remote control application for Windows, Mac and Android that goes along with their excellent focus stacking program.

John
    Last edited by PhotomanJohn; 24th August 2013 at 04:00 AM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I have recently purchased a Nook HD+ tablet with Android capability. It can be upgraded to Android 4.1 with just a software download fix.

I want to get an app that will allow me to control my Canon 7D with the Nook Tablet. However, when I did a Google search, I found that there were numerous Android apps for camera control...

http://geeknizer.com/control-canon-n...-with-android/

I wonder which, if any of these apps would be the best for me? I want to use the control when shooting macros and for long exposures. Of course, I would probably find a lot more uses for the app once I get it up and running...
    Hi Richard

I installed DSLR Controller on my Android tablet some time ago and it seems quite good. I had grand plans to use it when shooting on a tripod but these have never eventuated. So I can't really give you a worthwhile review of "user experience". It was about the only one around at the time and has got some good reviews. From your link, it is apparent that a few others have sprung up since then. It doesn't cost much (about $8) so you wouldn't have much to lose if you wanted to try it out. It only works on the later Canons including the 7D. It doesn't do anything fancy like focus stacking though. I suspect the Helicon solution would cost more but I don't know.

Dave

Real Name
    Richard

I have been researching and guess that I might most like to use the Helicon program because focus stacking is something in which I just might be interested.

Real Name
    Yes

dslr controller is excellent with a 7D - and though I have not updated to latest version, it can now save images to the tablet - though this may slow things up a little.
    DslrController give you more control than with the slr, including bracketing etc. Great as a remote controller where you can see what the cammera sees. Just remember it uses live view, so heavy on battery life of camera, also that you need to set camera to auto or programme and then change settings on tablet.