Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Upper Falls Hocking Hills State Park

Real Name
    Allan Short

Upper Falls Hocking Hills State Park

Just got back from taking my daughters to see their mother in Ohio, so I spent my time over at Hocking Hills State Park. I shot this Monday morning as per kdoc's suggestion which were great, however as we had light rain and drizzle most of Sunday so there was almost a mist still hanging in the air making the light very soft and flat on Monday morning. This is a 3 shot HDR 2 stops apart, because of the conditions not a lot of shall I say life in the original, so if the conditions had been perfect this is what I feel it would have looked like, to do that I ran it through NIK Colour Efex Pro 4 "Tonal Contrast" then darken down the edges.

Cheers:

Allan

Upper Falls Hocking Hills State Park

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Upper Falls Hocking Hills State Park

Allan, I am not real familiar with HDR so please take what I say with a grain of salt.
    Is there a way you can tone down the saturation a tad?
    Overall this is nice photo.

Bruce

Hi Alan, great composition, and well performed post production. - Love it!

Real Name
    John

The composition is really good in this image but I also find the HDR overdone. Instead of adjusting you exposure for a set number of stops, you could try creating three images that in turn just give you the correct exposure for the Shadows, mid tones and highlights respectively. I would produce a more natural effect.......if that's what you want.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Very nice image Allan.

Dave

Real Name
    Kevin

Lovely image. A tad on the saturated side for me but I've been moving in that direction for a while, so "season to taste". Knowing that area as well as I do, I know that shot isn't an easy composition- is that a vertical pano, and if not, what focal length is that? My wife especially liked this shot (she's really tired of mine, I think). Well done.

PS
    The weather you got was not what the forecasters had predicted only the day before you left. I was watching the weather over the weekend knowing you were down there, and we didn't get a drop of rain- just 70 miles away. Hope it didn't dampen your visit too much.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Kevin: single shot, shot with a 70-300mm set at 102mm, using a full frame camera, at f/11, ISO 400 at 1/15 sec.. Yes I did go a tad heavy with the saturation, as if was quite dull and gray I wanted to add some love to it, so that it would sing.

Cheers:

Allan

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

I would back off the saturation a bit and let the image sit for a couple of days. Then do a comparison between your original and the slightly desaturated version.

karm

Real Name
    Barry

I actually like the amount of HDR in this. While it is easy to overdo HDR this works for me here. Backing off a little would be fine too and the elements that make up the image all work for me. Is it the fall of the water or could the vertical be off ever so slightly?