Thread: Slugs - Especially for Bruce

Real Name
    Christina

Slugs - Especially for Bruce

I promised Bruce (Cantab) about two months ago that I would take a photograph of a slug and post it in the post your slug thread which he started but I can't find that thread so I would like to dedicate this slug to to Bruce.

But first let me state...

Bruce you got some "splaining to do!"

1. It took me two months to find a slug in a city with almost 3 million people.
    2. At long last, I found a slug in the forest but the slug was covered with dirt, twigs and leaves and I like to take pretty photos so I made the slug a new home in a giant leaf filled with dirt and slug treats which I carried on the bus ride home.
    3. Once home I had to give the slug a bath and washed all of the leaves.
    4. When the slug was finally in the mood to be photographed I tried photographing it on the leaves set on my balcony in the shade but that was a bust because it was too dark. I took the slug outside and placed it on a log in the sunshine.

The photo shoot went better outside but it was still incredibly challenging especially with the crowd gathering around to check out the slug.. Much to my delight the slug started moving about, and I was ready to capture an slug action shot... Little did I realize how incredibly slimy and reflective slugs are, how fast they really move and how challenging it truly is to get enough DOF.

I became quite enamoured with the slug because I thought we had made eye contact. I later learned that what I thought was the "eye of the slug" (note the focal point) was it's respiratory system.

Anyway, for those who may have some concerns.... I returned the slug to it's natural habitat in the forest where he is living happily ever after with his family.

Here's the photo

Bruce, if you point me to the slug thread I will post a few more slug shots to keep the thread going, and I will try again as soon as I come across a slug (as long as it doesn't involve any long term searches)... Simply because I do appreciate a good challenge

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Slugs - Especially for Bruce

Christina, boy I am glad this photo was not dedicated to me.

Bruce (Digital)

Real Name
    Christina

Bruce, (Digital) Perhaps one day...

Here is the slug thread. Personally I would love to see some nice images that I may refer to in future.

Post Your Slugs

Real Name
    Grahame

Christina,

Brilliant background story to the image. Although you returned him/her to their original habitat I trust you completed the appropriate model release paperwork and as a minimum paid reasonable travel and victualling expenses.

Real Name
    Steven

Over here we don't have many slugs, only snails. I have shot them, but never happy with the outcome of the photos. So, I generally avoid shooting them as I have no idea what I should focus on.

Anyone reading this can shed some light on what to aim for when shooting slugs?

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

You are all welcome in my garden where I have both slugs and snails. Surprisingly I have never thought to photograph the little ******s, they eat far too much of what's meant for our dining table for my liking.
    Nevertheless Christina, a great shot and story.

Real Name
    Christina

Grahame, yes I took care of the paperwork and expenses.

Steven, this is my first slug shot. I think birds in flight are easier... If I did it again, I would focus on the head around the tentacles when the slug is in an upright position, with the slime dripping from its chin... I had a couple of these shots but they turned out really poorly because I didn't have enough DOF, the light was too bright and the slime was overexposed. The eyes of the slug are on the top of the tentacles. They move slowly but they wag their heads surprisingly fast when in motion. Next time around I will look for a prettier model, ie a different type of slug..

Kaye, I would enjoy visiting your garden but I will have to dig around in someone else's garden as soon as the rains arrive.

Thanks everyone. The challenges of photographing a slug just struck me as very funny. Hopefully Bruce will think so too.
    Last edited by Brownbear; 22nd August 2013 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Real Name
    Suzan J

Ewwwww... I hate slugs. I think I have a slug phobia. Just yesterday, I found a huge pile of the slimy monsters under what was left of my lettuce. Oddly though, your shot of the critter is compelling in a weird way. You must have bonded with him (her) for it to give you such a nice pose.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Christina S View Post
    I promised Bruce (Cantab) about two months ago that I would take a photograph of a slug and post it in the post your slug thread which he started but I can't find that thread so I would like to dedicate this slug to to Bruce.

But first let me state...

Bruce you got some "splaining to do!"

1. It took me two months to find a slug in a city with almost 3 million people.
    2. At long last, I found a slug in the forest but the slug was covered with dirt, twigs and leaves and I like to take pretty photos so I made the slug a new home in a giant leaf filled with dirt and slug treats which I carried on the bus ride home.
    3. Once home I had to give the slug a bath and washed all of the leaves.
    4. When the slug was finally in the mood to be photographed I tried photographing it on the leaves set on my balcony in the shade but that was a bust because it was too dark. I took the slug outside and placed it on a log in the sunshine.

The photo shoot went better outside but it was still incredibly challenging especially with the crowd gathering around to check out the slug.. Much to my delight the slug started moving about, and I was ready to capture an slug action shot... Little did I realize how incredibly slimy and reflective slugs are, how fast they really move and how challenging it truly is to get enough DOF.

I became quite enamoured with the slug because I thought we had made eye contact. I later learned that what I thought was the "eye of the slug" (note the focal point) was it's respiratory system.

Anyway, for those who may have some concerns.... I returned the slug to it's natural habitat in the forest where he is living happily ever after with his family.

Here's the photo

Bruce, if you point me to the slug thread I will post a few more slug shots to keep the thread going, and I will try again as soon as I come across a slug (as long as it doesn't involve any long term searches)... Simply because I do appreciate a good challenge
    Christina, I feel very honoured to have had this photo dedicated to me. And I'm very pleased that this photo has garnered attention from around the world.

Congratulations on a good set of shots. For those who haven't seen Christina's other slug portraits, they're available here: Post Your Slugs.

Christina, your slug looks like it may have been in a fight and lost one of its upper tentacles, so it may be a one eyed slug.

Real Name
    Arlen

Nice image of a critter that gets no love, Christina. At first glance it looks like an evil-eyed snake poking its head out from behind a log and flicking its tongue. (But I also see monsters in clouds. )

This just may be the first time in human history that anyone has had a slug dedicated to them.
    Last edited by Arlen; 22nd August 2013 at 03:32 PM.

Real Name
    Christina

Bruce

Thank you for seeing the humour in my post... Truly I posted in jest because the slug was so hard to find and extremely difficult to photograph.

I think my photo is definitely interesting and fun, and shows the potential for slug photography if one can manage to get a slug on the move and blur the background, that's about it. My focus and DOF is lacking, and I didn't manage to capture enough detail in the entire slug photo (hard to capture under the slime that covers the critter)... just the skirt...

The slug had two tentacles.... I photographed it from the side as I thought the opening in the side of the head was it's eye and that I had established eye contact with the critters as I was wrapped up in the moment. Which shows the importance of researching your critters prior to photographing them... (the eyes are on the top of the tentacles) The head was a little underexposed so I dodged it, but now that I look at it, it looks funny. ie; grey

Capturing slugs in battle mode... that would be a great shot..

Arlen,
    Thank you... I do have a few images where it looks like a snake and I too, see monsters and critters when I look at the clouds. When I find another slug I will try and capture it as perfectly as your b&w portrait of a bug... I love that shot!