Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: natures colur

natures colur

the colours are what attracted me to take this photo but not sure if its quite right either the composiation or the angle photo was taken from comments are welcome
    natures colur

Real Name
    Dave

Re: natures colur

I think the colours are nice. For the composition, I would crop it a bit more tightly at both sides to near the edges of the flowers, and then at the bottom to keep the log exiting near the bottom left corner.

To me, the picture looks underexposed and over saturated. I see from the Exif that you used Lightroom, and I wonder what settings you used. I downloaded your image to Lightroom. I increased the exposure by a little over a stop, increased the contrast a little, reduced saturation a little, and added some Clarity and Vibrance. I think it improves the image, though at the end of the day it is all subjective. Happy to post my changed image if you wish.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Nice colours indeed Warren. I like the composition as it is but I do agree with Dave that the exposure could be lifted a bit.

Dave

thanks for the comments dave would be good if you could post your changed image so i can see the differance

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Warren,

Here is my attempt. As I said, it's different, only you know what you wanted. In addition to the changes made that I already described, I've done one or two other tweaks. I thought that it could do with a slightly warmer look so I adjusted the colour temperature, and it looks as if the log has a slight magenta tint, so I pulled the Tint 20 points down to green. Finally, although I thought the overall saturation was OK I also thought the fungi could do with a little more colour, so I used the Targeted Adjustment Tool in the Saturation bit of the HSL Panel to push it up a bit (unsurprisingly, it moved the red and orange sliders, which doesn't affect much else). Cheers, Dave

natures colur

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Warren.

I prefer your version to what Dave posted. If this were my image, I would crop a bit off the right side, just so a bit of the rightmost violet flower is removed. The image is very saturated, and has a low key look to it, and you and others may like that style. It appears if there is missing detail in the violet flowers and fungi that would have been nice to see.

Real Name
    Barry

I prefer the original image's colours and as the violet flower is already cropped a little at the top some further cropping would be OK. I like the fallen branch taking a dominant place in the image so I wouldn't want to see much of that in any cropping.

Real Name
    Dave

I prefer your version to what Dave posted
    I prefer the original image's colours
    Well, that's me told then . Just goes to show, it's all in the eye and what you want.

Dave

Real Name
    Philip

I like your composition, Warren and, for me, it does not need to be cropped. The parts that interest me are the flowers, the log and the fungus, so if it were mine I would want to enhance those in an attempt to help them stand out more from the background, e.g. -

natures colur

(Green and cyan toned down, magenta and blue raised; a bit of fill light on the log; leaf litter either side of the log toned down slightly; background slightly softened; gentle vignette.)

Philip
    Last edited by MrB; 23rd August 2013 at 11:34 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

I think the original composition is interesting. The background is busy, but there is no easy way around that without a lot of fussing in post, and perhaps even with. I agree that the colors are oversaturated. They look unnatural, and it appears to me (it's hard to tell at such a small scale) that the detail has been lost in the purples, perhaps for that reason.