Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Winter colours

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Winter colours

I was not sure if this was worth showing and I would like comments. To me, this needs to be seen in full resolution at a big size to be appreciated. (I know, everybody says that.) This is in contrast to the usual forest around here which is a drab bluish green. No editing has been done on the image. Does it need it?

Winter colours
    056A3087 by tonyw36, on Flickr

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Winter colours

I think it is beautiful as is.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Thanks Christina.

Real Name
    Christina

My pleasure Tony... Bumping this up because even though I think it's perfect I'm sure that someone out there will be able to give you some more constructive feedback.

Real Name
    Philip

The harsh lighting seems to give this image a sort of speckled look on my screen. Although it is a busy scene, gently toning down the brightness and contrast, and raising the colour saturation a bit, seem to give a cleaner image. But these are just my opinions, of course.

Winter colours
    (PM if you prefer this example not shown)

Philip

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Thanks, Philip and Christina.

Philip, I think your version makes a better picture than mine and I have no objection to you showing what you have done. I had not tried to enhance it at all. To be honest, though, I think mine, perhaps unfortunately, is a more accurate depiction of the actual scene.

Real Name
    Barry

I like it Tony and don't think it needs further processing but there is nothing wrong with MrB's take on it either. As a fellow Aussie, albeit from quite different state and climate, I know the Australian bush can have a dryer, harsher look to it with more greys than some might be used to seeing.

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    I think mine, perhaps unfortunately, is a more accurate depiction of the actual scene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowy55 View Post
    I know the Australian bush can have a dryer, harsher look to it with more greys than some might be used to seeing.
    Interesting observations - thank you Tony and Barry.

Philip

Real Name
    Tony Watts

This is a more typical view of the Australian bush. The original one was next to our house. This is 100 metres down our driveway. I took it a couple of weeks ago to try to convey the feeling of the place.

Winter colours
    056A2816 by tonyw36, on Flickr

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Tony.

I'm not sure why you did not post process either image. There are very bright areas where the Sun was shining on the leaves (both photos), and the driveway in the second image is very bright. My preference would have been to decrease the highlights and increase the very dark areas so that the extreme tones are moved toward the mid levels.

Both scenes are very pleasing and I think the overall beauty of the scenes is what you want people to see instead of having them look at a specific object. The very bright areas tug at the eye. I like much of what Philip did, but would have not have increased the saturation as much or at all.

Real Name
    Tony Watts

Ken, thanks for your comments. I made an attempt at editing this image. Editing is not my forte. I lightened the highlights and that got rid of the glare on the bright leaves. I tried lightening the shadows but did not like the result and reversed that. I also tried a higher saturation but again did not like the result - I just did not feel at home after that, even though it made a prettier picture in a way. This is the result

Winter colours
    056A2816ed by tonyw36, on Flickr

Real Name
    Greg

You have done a good job on this Tony, but the first one looks more natural.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Tony. Good try. Learning post processing isn't easy and takes practice. It will pay dividends in the future.