Real Name
    Andre Burger

Have a Beer!

Home brew. Not bad at all.

Have a Beer!

Real Name
    David

Re: Have a Beer!

I sure enjoy your post. You have a great eye for this. Keep them coming.
    David

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Andre.

The center of attention is the beer bottle and the glass full of beer. The exposure on the glass is well done. I think it would help the image if you were to lighten the exposure on the bottle. The light reflecting off the wooden table is pulling the eye away, so you might want to try darkening the table and lightening the bottle. By doing so, you would hold the eye on the bottle and glass. My two cents...

Real Name
    Terry

Hi Andre!

Without knowing whether you are just shooting for fun or if you were wanting to do a shot as if you were submitting it to the brewer I might bounce a suggestion or two off you and see what you think!

The surface you shot these on looks good (if maybe a bit too bright). But you can see the crack of the table on the table curving through the drinking glass of beverage. Maybe if you moved both pieces such that that crack wasn’t visible in the drinking glass?

If this were my product and you were shooting for me I might ask you to bring more light to the product label so it would be more prominent. My brand label would be what I would want to be one of, if not the most important aspect of the composition. One way you might go about that is to take a small mirror and just reflect some light directly on to the label, being careful that you don’t pick up an unwanted highlight on the glass of the bottle. Or you might even bring it out a bit more in post. If you couldn’t get around an unwanted reflection you could probably remove it fairly easily in post if it were a small light source.

I might also ask if you would mist the bottle and glass to give it that “cold, refreshing” look! If you do that one thing you might try is mixing a little glycerin in with your water in the mister (spray bottle).

When shooting anything reflective you really have to be aware of what your subject is reflecting and the shape of the highlights. The highlight on the bottle looks nice but at the bottom left of it there is something reflecting as a dark “blob” (lack of a better word!) in the highlight.

I might also ask you if you could create a highlight on the camera left side of the bottle to see how that might look. To do that all you would probably need to do would be to place a white strip reflector (foamboard or something) just out of the frame that would reflect into the bottle creating a nice highlight there. The position, shape would determine the shape/position/size of the highlight on the bottle.

If this were my shot I might also try shooting it with the bottle and the glass separated a little bit, but I think I would leave the glass slightly behind the bottle as you have here.

Okay, now I’m thirsty!
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 19th August 2013 at 02:38 PM.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Thanks Guys, for the comments.
    I realised something now. This was shot on a cold July day. A warm summer day beer must depict a feeling of it being ice cold, but do you want it to look ice cold in winter?