View Poll Results: Which version of the otter image do you prefer?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Image#1

9 64.29%
  • Image#2

5 35.71%

Thread: Which processed otter image do you prefer?

Real Name
    Dan

Which processed otter image do you prefer?

Hi, folks. I reprocessed an old image for printing on metal. That is an unforgiving medium so I wanted to denoise and optimize sharpening before printing. While I was at it I decded to try my recently acquired Topaz Clarity plug in. I was astounded at how different the image looks. Can't decide if it's better or not. I shot this image a couple of years ago and have seen it with the original look for quite a while and have printed it several times. So seeing it different automatically looks wrong to me. So I'd like to hear the opinion of people with no preconceptions.

Also comments on why you prefer one over the other or any other C/C would be appreciated. I do OK with many aspects of processing but colors baffle me at times. As far as I can tell looking at the plug in sliders the only difference in these two are the overall (not by channel) tonal values and a bump in sat on the second one but to me WB looks different as well.

Image #1

Image #2
    Last edited by NorthernFocus; 15th August 2013 at 06:58 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Which processed otter image do you prefer?

Dan, I like #2 better because the colors seem less muted. Also the photo appears to be sharper.
    Hope this helps.

Bruce

The background is more subdued on #1 (brightness and sharpness).

I fear the background of #2 may become too dominant in your print.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

#1 with darker water in background draws the viewer in to focus on the otter subjects better than #2.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

The otters from #2 on the water from #1 or just a bit of localised burning and sharpening on the otters in #1 but ultimately it will depend on the printing.

Real Name
    Christina

#1 for the colour and naturalness of the water, and also for the otters.. with maybe a slight preference for the first otter in the 2nd image

Real Name
    Miltos

Dan it doesn't matter which one looks better on our monitor. For printing the rule is that the image needs to be sharpened much more than what would look pleasant on monitor before the print always lacks sharpened details.

Real Name
    Dan

Thanks for the input, folks. I guess it boils down to whether the overall photo or the otters are more important. Which is where the whole thing started. I like the first one because the otters jump off the BG. My bride likes the second because the overall image is more colorful. I think I'll go with the BG on first one and count on the metal print making the green pop. Then I'll try running the Topaz on a layer with the BG masked to enhance the otters.

Miltos, sorry for the confusion with my comments about re-processing to enhance sharpness. That is why I worked the images over but I was asking about the color changes that I made.

Real Name
    Matthew

A bit late to the discussion, but for me the first photo is heaps better. The water is way softer and lets the otters pop, for sure. I love it. I might add some more pop to the otters with localized LCE, to get the best of both photos. (though IMO the difference on the otters between one and two is so slight, it hardly makes a difference. The edges of the otters is where the biggest difference shows up). PS, I just realized I said "otters pop" which reminds me of otter pops..time to go to the grocery store.. lol

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by flyingSquirrel View Post
    ... I might add some more pop to the otters with localized LCE, to get the best of both photos. (though IMO the difference on the otters between one and two is so slight, it hardly makes a difference....
    Thanks, Matt. I'll be printing this one 12x24 on aluminum so it may make a significant difference to optimize the details on the otters. I'll give it a try. I appreciate the input. Looks like 2x1 in favor of the first image.

Real Name
    John

Late as well but I would go with no.1 also. The only thing that occurs to me is that the highlight areas on the first otter's forehead are close to blowing and I wonder how your print medium will handle that. Presumable the tonal range o the aluminium will be more constrained.

Real Name
    Suzan J

Hello Dan: The expressions on these critters are adorable. Almost makes me want to hug a rodent! I prefer the number 1 shot due to the more muted background. On my monitor, I am finding little difference in the sharpness of the subjects. The background, however, is quite different.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    My bride likes the second
    And you're still asking which one to go with? Have you not heard of the importance of preserving marital bliss?

Real Name
    Dan

OK thanks for the opinions, folks. Here's the version combing the first BG, the second otter, and leveled it a tweak. This one gets printed for an exhibit, the one my bride likes gets printed for home

Real Name
    Matthew

Superb, Dan.