Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nightime in the City

Nightime in the City

This was taken in Syracuse, NY during our annual tree lighting ceremony. Not much to say, other than it was my first attempt at night time photography. I don't think it came out too bad, but you should know, I did not use a tripod.

tree-green-bldg..jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 31st December 2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    Will

Re: Nightime in the City

seems fairly sharp for lacking a tripod.

night photography is always cool, but in this case i think you may have two overlapping subjects in your shot...

well exposed shot...good job for your first attempt! however, the tree ends abruptly at the bottom of the frame which makes the shot feel kind of awkward for me. it's also hard to pinpoint what the focus of this shot is...my eyes drift back and forth between the tree and the green building.

definitely use a tripod too! the downscaled image appears sharp, but the larger one is noticeably blurry. a tripod is essential for nighttime shots.

Real Name
    Pete

Ah yes, the tripod... I must try not to forget that thing

I often take impromptu (sp?) shots like this and then go home and wish I'd done this and that and not done the other All good experience. We get better with every shot...hopefully...unless we get to the point where we are so good that we don't...but that's a LONG way off for me

Good exposure, Love the colour

i think you may have two overlapping subjects in your shot...
    Thats exactly why I could not make my mind up about this image. Tree or buildings, one or the other, but both makes for a crammed in image. For me the composition needs more black space to loosen things up a little. Very well done for a first try at night photography though.

Steve

You know when I first viewed this image I was just suprised how sharp and vivid it was, I was more pleased with the building rather than the tree (The tree was just too busy) I guess, now that you mention that it is busy or distracting, I would have to agree.

I did not use tripod because the place was a mob scene. Hind sight being twenty twenty, I should have trekked back there with tri pod in tow on a less crowded night.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Warren

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Warren,

Were the buidings really illuminated green (to the naked eye) like that, or is that a consequence of WB to get the tree lights correct?

I find it is always disappointing how soft colour lit buildings look in the picture too
    (that's a general observation, not a criticism of this pic)

Cheers,

Hi,
    I sugest you this mode of treatment.Blue color blend layer then magenta overlay blending mode.
    All the best.
    Radu Dinu
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 5th January 2010 at 09:18 AM.