Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some Broken Rules.

Real Name
    John

Some Broken Rules.

In the city of Lancaster near where I live there is a bridge built to celebrate the Millenium. It's an odd design in that there is little symmetry , even the stantions seem to be different lengths. It is interesting for all that but try as I might, I have never managed to make a decent image of it. However on reflection (sorry) , when I reviewed some of the attempts, I tried turning the image up side down and cropping all but the reflection in the water. The reason for the title is that the bridge splits the composition along the horizontal centreline, I've chopped the top of the bridge off and the point of compositional focus, the cyclist in red (he really was), is dead centre. Despite all that it seems to work and I quite liked the result but as always CCs very welcome. It works best in the larger version.

Some Broken Rules.
    Last edited by John 2; 13th August 2013 at 03:46 PM.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Some Broken Rules.

John: rules are only guide lines, this really works I believe because it is a reflection, the burr of the water is just great. I do not know if this would work I wonder what it would look like in B&W, I do not think it would be as great however I have this desire to want to see.
    That is just me on the B&W part.
    Again great image.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

John; this is a very nicely done shot and inverting the reflection works very, very well.

That being said; it wouldn't be hard to suggest that some of the key elements are following the rule of thirds. The main support pillar is certainly positioned on a third and the left side of the span also seems to be floating off at about 1/3 of the way up into the frame.

Real Name
    Lex

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    That being said; it wouldn't be hard to suggest that some of the key elements are following the rule of thirds. The main support pillar is certainly positioned on a third and the left side of the span also seems to be floating off at about 1/3 of the way up into the frame.
    Can we just start calling it the Suggestion of Thirds?

I've been messing with some very wide or very tall aspect ratios lately - they seem to make one's eye travel primarily in one direction, which presents some interesting possibilities. Rule of thirds still seems to work, but only along the photo's long axis. Interesting to see that John apparently reached the same conclusion. It's an interesting shot. The single blaze of orange creates an unusual focal point.

Real Name
    John

Thanks for your encouraging comments all.

It looks a bit flat in mono Alan. The red in the cyclist contributes more than you might think in the colour version.

Manfred, Lex I did say "...some of the rules..." and I agree they are for guidance only. My own view- perhaps controversial - is that their real value is in the learning process which hopefully you transition through. Once a photographer develops an "eye" for a composition, he/she may well apply them subconsciously but has reached the stage where if it looks right it is right - even if the so called rules don't apply. Bit like driving a car. If you had to think your way through all the element involved in changing gear every time you needed to, life would be complicated. In practice though, it becomes second nature.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

You should have no qualms about moving the cyclist if you think it would create a better image which it may well do. You have produced a very good image but could it be better? Rules can be broken but sometimes it is interesting to see what happens if you don't break them all.

Real Name
    John

Thanks LP. No I think I quite like the cyclist where he is. Don't know why. Might be because it gives balance to the panoramic format but thanks for the thought.

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Great interpretation. Well done.

Real Name
    John

Thanks Graham.