Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Macro Lens

Macro Lens

Hi, I have been using my Canon 450d for about 3 months, and found myself regularly wanting to take macro photo's and would like to invest in a macro lense, preferrably for use in taking photo's of flowers and insects. I have looked at the Canon 100L USM but wondered whether it would be worth stretching to the Canon 100L IS USM? Has anyone tried the new lense is it much better or worth going the extra money?

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Macro Lens

Hi,

In my opinion, unless you want to use the 100L IS for other purposes then the IS becomes largely irrelevant as you will be using a tripod for your macro shots. This is all theory as I haven't used either lens

Peter

Real Name
    Allen

I just received the 100IS version for XMas and I can tell you that I have been down to 1/20s handheld (with flash) and pictures are amazingly sharp. I have just been shooting flowers and very closeups with extension tubes and I am simply amazed at the results. Chasing bugs outside in spring maybe a different story however!

As Peter mentioned, the question you need to ask yourself is if your going to use a tripod or not for your macro work. If all tripod go for the non-IS version and save some money.

Allen...

I haven't seen or read anything about that lens but most of my photography involves a selection of macro bugs.

This is what I use: Canon 40D with Sigma 180 mm macro lens and a strong stable tripod.

The Canon 180 mm is rated slightly higher but comes around twice the price; and the Sigma isn't exactly cheap. Personally I like the extra working distance which I gain with a 180 mm lens, say 12 to 18 ins; but the downside is a heavy and cumbersome lens which requires a tripod.

But when photographing a nervous insect that is 10 mm long and wanting to print at around 10 ins, the bigger your lens the better.

However, lenses around 150 mm are very popular and easier to use. They are a good all round compromise but still work best on a tripod. Remember that you will have a very short depth of field and mostly be working around F11 to F16.

Flowers and other inanimate subjects will allow the use of a smaller lens and something around 100 mm can work well here; but will be rather limiting for those easily scared insects because you will need to get within 6 ins for a reasonable sized image.

Once again, a tripod will always be of benefit due to the small depth of focus.

If, however, you are looking for a general purpose lens which is also capable of macro work; having IS can only be an advantage. So if you want a specific macro lens for flies, bees, butterflies, etc, I would recommend getting 150 mm. Canon and Sigma both make excellent and popular lenses at this size. If you are more interested in flowers, then 100 mm would be fine.