Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sharpening blending mode???

Real Name
    Steve

Sharpening blending mode???

I usually sharpen using a layer mask with unsharpmask..................just curious what blending mode everyone is using? I have used overlay, and value modes (really not much difference, but overlay adds more contrast).

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Sharpening blending mode???

Steve

You've just reminded me that in my inputs on 'Iceicles(sic) in Glenfarg', I forgot to specify that I use the GIMP's 'Wavelet Sharpen' rather than Unsharp Mask (again, a suggestion from a previous post [David] on here).

So, yes, I use Wavelet Sharpen. Do an overall sharpen for capture and then, generally, as you - i.e. a layer in value mode, with a layer mask, for content sharpening

Steve.....I use several sharpening approaches (several egger scripts including High Pass, Smart Sharpening from the Foundry scripts)....I normally use USM (1,1,1) following noise removal..

In any case I normally sharpen on a separate layer and and blend by reducing opacity.....

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by willgoss View Post
    Steve.....I use several sharpening approaches (several egger scripts including High Pass, Smart Sharpening from the Foundry scripts)....I normally use USM (1,1,1) following noise removal..

In any case I normally sharpen on a separate layer and and blend by reducing opacity.....
    Opacity is not a blending mode...........what blending mode do you use ----overlay---soft light---value---etc.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Steve

You've just reminded me that in my inputs on 'Iceicles(sic) in Glenfarg', I forgot to specify that I use the GIMP's 'Wavelet Sharpen' rather than Unsharp Mask (again, a suggestion from a previous post [David] on here).

So, yes, I use Wavelet Sharpen. Do an overall sharpen for capture and then, generally, as you - i.e. a layer in value mode, with a layer mask, for content sharpening
    Donald, what is wavelet sharpen? Never heard of that one.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Steve
    Donald, what is wavelet sharpen? Never heard of that one.
    It's a GIMP plug-in, available at: http://registry.gimp.org/node/9836.

The description on the page starts:- "The wavelet decomposition of an image results in multiple images with different frequency content. When amplifying the high frequency parts the recomposed image appears to be sharper than the original one. That way the frequency which should be amplified most can also be selected and a given unsharpness in the original image can be taken into account.
    This GIMP plugin allows to perform this wavelet decomposition and allows the user to adjust the amount of sharpening and the radius of unsharpness in the original image. As an option you can sharpen the luminance channel of the YCbCr converted image only which reduces colour artifacts to appear (especially in noisy images). The sharpness of the colour contrast is not critical to the human eye."
    ........ most of which I don't understand, but it does the job well.
    Last edited by Donald; 30th December 2009 at 04:02 PM.

Hi,
    I have not the same blending mode always.Blending mode is linking with the image with what I think about a specific image.
    Best regards
    Radu Dinu

I use normal blending mode for my sharpening layers. I like to have each layer accomplish a particular purpose - if I want the effect of a blending mode, I will create a new layer/mask combo specifically for that. Sharpening to me is pretty single-purpose.

That said, I am not against using other blending modes for any layers. If it looks good, why not? My favorite non-utility blending modes are Soft Light, Overlay, and Multiply.

Steve...as I said I use the Egger scripts that use USM and a host of options''

In the Light and shadows it produces 2 layers in the lighten and darken mode.....

In the Smart Redux, again the options and the resulting layer is in the values mode....and as I remember sat at 80% opacity....of course they can be then changed to your preference....

In the High Pass Sharpen.....the sharpened layer is in Overlay Mode.........

These are worth trying and studying as they incorporate many more options than just USM and a mode gives you.....Egger has done the hard work for us....

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks everyone......................i'm just learning what the different layer modes actually do and was wondering what everyone else is doing. I've been doing alot of research on editing ,trying to learn what modes are used for what reasons.(after all , they had to be designed for a specific reason )

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Errr.... Where can I find the Step by step Process for Sharpening using various layers and blending mode.
    Sorry, I am new to it
    I have Photoshop CS2.
    Thanks.

Real Name
    John

Sahil,

Try the following website.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho..._Resources.htm