Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Sunset over the Cotton

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Sunset over the Cotton

I haven't been on for a while. Just haven't been motivated to take pictures. Working 60 to 70 hours a week leaves me wanting to do nothing on my days off. This past Sunday I decided to go out and experiment. These didn't come out exactly how I wanted. I had a vision in my head that just didn't translate to the camera.

I wanted to get down lower and get more of the sprinklers more in the sunset but the cotton plants were too tall I think to accomplish what I was really after. Would like some comments to see if some might think this would be a good idea to attempt again, perhaps next year before the cotton gets as tall as it is now.

Sunset over the Cotton

Sunset on the Cotton Patch
    Sunset over the Cotton

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Sunset over the Cotton

I think the 2nd image is stunning...

I can't visualize the potential of the sprinklers in the first image but that may just be me.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Sunset over the Cotton

The policy I follow with shots like the first is to ensure the sun is hidden to avoid the burnt out result, or at least to minimise it. But I do not think you concentrated on the essence of your material and offer you two adaptions of what you showed us to what I hope I would have seen in your situation ... don't say I would becuase I usually see the potential for a situation when I get back to the editor
    Sunset over the Cotton
    The righthand version involved rotating the spray and with both I have cropped to have the dark pipe on the right to stop the eye wandering off the photo.
    I guess you would have endangered your camera if it had been lower.
    Anotheer solution would be to wait for the last few seconds as the sun is actually on or starting to go below the horizon to reduce its strength ... very hard to do at sunsets as one is dazzled by the sun and given it lasts just a few seconds I have yet to catch it though it is much easier at sunrise.