Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: B&W landscapes renders

Real Name
    Ken Outch

B&W landscapes renders

These were taken on wintery and wet days. My aim was to capture the light /shadow plays across the landscape and render them into B&W, hopefully with a bit of 'punch.'

Thanks for viewing and for criticisms.

B&W landscapes renders

B&W landscapes renders

B&W landscapes renders

Real Name
    Greg

Re: B&W landscapes renders

RE the first one: I hope that isn't the 'top paddock', Ken!

Seriously though, I like these, I think you have done a good job on the conversion (certainly better than I am capable of doing). The second one is a standout for me. I like the contrast betweent the sunlit hillside and the grey sky in the background.

The third one: I'm not sure about the very black immediate foreground, and I would like to see the light sky area above the hill a bit brighter.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

Hey Ken...IMHO, all three images suffer from excessive foreground.
    I like the mist but, not the hillside...hilltop nice, trees less so...3rd one doesn't do anything for me.
    Your motives were good and well carried out, just too much extraneous foreground was included in the images.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Ken,

I too think the second is the strongest by some way.

In the first, I find the strong foreground diagonal too distracting, and the creatures (I had o zoom in to see they were hoppy things) to small to add interest. In the third,my eye wanders around without fixing somewhere.

In the second, my eye is drawn to the light hill and the building on top, and then explores the rest of the scene. Good image, thanks.

I am trying to build my understanding of what works in b&w by going back through some old images, and finding it hard to do. I hope to get nearer the point where I can see that what's in front of me will work - I suppose I should get out more .