Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: RAW & Camera Settings

RAW & Camera Settings

O.K, bit of an odd question this.
    I have not really done much in the way of taking images with the RAW setting on my Nikon D90.
    I PP using Corel Paintshop Pro X2.
    I took some photo's yesterday using RAW + Fine Jpeg.
    After transferring them to my computer and opening them in Paintshop Pro, all the Jpegs appeared with results apparent from different settings I had used throughout the session, but all the RAW images appeared as though no different settings had been used on the camera from photo to photo.
    What I am trying to say, all images appeared identical in exposure, I checked the Exif and all the relevant info was recorded of any changes I had made to the camera settings, so I expected to see these different exposure values, i.e EV +&- changes appearing in the overall exposure of the RAW image.
    My question is, do RAW images always appear identical until PP is applied when they have been loaded onto the computer, or is the Software I am using not fully compatible with the RAW format from my D90?

Keith

Re: RAW & Camera Settings.

DOH! I think I may have just a tad more intelligence than your average plank of wood, I tried my D40 and the software does seem to show RAW images as I would expect with applied camera setting changes.
    So I guess it is probably the Corel software not compatible with the D90's RAW format, please ignore

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Some softwares do not read the entire RAW file. Parts of the files like the sharpening, hue, saturation contrast values may not be applied during the conversion. In which case, a RAW file will usually look more dull than the jpeg. Using a software like NX or ViewNX will erradicate this problem. Do you think this is the problem?

May I know the reason for saving a RAW+JPEG file? Are you in a hurry to send photos to your client?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing fire View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

Some softwares do not read the entire RAW file. Parts of the files like the sharpening, hue, saturation contrast values may not be applied during the conversion. In which case, a RAW file will usually look more dull than the jpeg. Using a software like NX or ViewNX will erradicate this problem. Do you think this is the problem?
    All cameras include metadata containing "picture styles" (Canon terminology) information, but most converters ignore all of it except for the white balance (the exceptions being the native software from the camera manufacturers themselves).

Thanks for ascertaining!