Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tips for Zanzibar and Tanzania

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Tips for Zanzibar and Tanzania

I am very fortunate in having the opportunity to visit Zanzibar and Southern Tanzania on safari later this month. I have not been before and other trips equally beautiful from the weather point of view (I'm used to England !!) were taken before I got the photography bug - so, million dollar question - any tips ??? any don't dos?, any must dos?, any don't forget to pack ideas ?

Many thanks

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Tips for Zanzibar and Tanzania

Zanzibar is wonderful. Where are you going to be staying? I spent about 3 weeks in the capital, Stone Town.

Unfortunately crime was a bit of a problem when I was there 10 years ago and, I believe, is more of a concern now. Most of it is opportunistic theft-type crime. If in Stone Town and away from your hotel for an evening, always get a taxi back. Don't walk.

Don't flaunt western wealth. Women must dress modestly and be respectful of local custom and practice. Personally I don't think men should be wandering the streets in shorts and open shirts either, but that's just my standards. Zanzibar is a mainly Muslim society.

If it's still there, go to the restaurant that is (was) in the house where Freddie Mercury (lead singer of Queen) was born. Great curry at, for us, cheap prices.

If wandering the narrow streets of Stone Town you WILL get lost. it's a maze. Just enjoy it. You'll eventually arrive back at the sea.

Photographically - Be discreet, but, if in Stone Town, do go for street scenes.

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

We have a few days on the coast, then a couple in Stone Town and then a week in Southern Tanzania with the animals. I have been to Africa and the Middle East before so am already keenly aware of clothing requirements and leaving the family jewels (!!) at home. So I am more concerned about dealing with the light and how to capture some great travel shots rather than snaps, although I am sure I'll get many of those.

So any thoughts/ recommendations for kit etc. greatly appreciated

Real Name
    Dave

Where are you going to see the animals? Is it the Selous, where I have been?

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    Where are you going to see the animals? Is it the Selous, where I have been?
    Indeed, 4 days in Selous and three more in Ruaha - Im looking forward to all of it, including the flight in the wee plane.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Kay,

I've done quite a lot of this safari stuff. I'll pm you rather than bore others not interested...

Dave