Thread: Foggy Sunday morning, Stearns Wharf, Santa Barbara, CA

Real Name
    Judi

Foggy Sunday morning, Stearns Wharf, Santa Barbara, CA

I like the mood and subdued colors, with the blue on the buildings standing out. C&C welcome

Last edited by judiscott; 8th August 2013 at 01:43 AM.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Foggy Sunday morning, Stearns Wharf, Santa Barbara, CA

This is a pleasant image. The line of boats facing the same direction, the pier, and the grey sky are nice. IMO a pano crop would work better for the linear content and most of the sky is featureless and just dead space. I'd try various crops to see if one jumps out at you. Good eye to see this opportunity. IMO is needs some tweaking.

Yes the amount of rather bland sky was my first thoughts.

Possibly a slight crop of the top and right side may be worth trying.

Only a little though. I would still go with having the horizon below half way, vertically speaking.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Judi.

I like your image and agree that it is moody. It is one of those drab, dreary days and you've captured it quite well. I notice as your eye moves around this image, it discovers interesting things to study - the anchored boats, the waterfowl, the pier and more.

Contrary to others opinions, I think cropping some of the bottom off would possibly make a better image. I like the way the negative space of the sky balances the remainder of the composition and helps us feel the dreary day.

Real Name
    Tony

Perhaps a little bland? I saw the post 'cos my wife's name is Judi and our surname is Sc.... And we lived a bit north of you in San Rafael.
    Maybe a bit too much sky,

perhaps a bit too blue? Difficult to tell because we got hit by lightning a week ago a I haven;t had the chance to really set up our new monitor.

Real Name
    Judi

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Dan - I uploaded this image as my Facebook cover page which had the effect of a pano crop, and yes, it does look nice. But I kind of like the sky, but I'm sure I could lose some of it.

Geoff - I had been thinking of cropping a bit from the right side also.

Ken - Thanks for your encouragement. My feeling also is that the sky evokes the dreary mood.

Toni - Nice interpretation. I grew up north of San Rafael in Healdsburg and graduated from Berkeley, so I know your area quite well.

Anyway, you all have given me a lot to think about and try out. I guess there's no one correct answer in this business.

Thanks.

Judi