Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A first attempt at B&W

Real Name
    Brian

A first attempt at B&W

A first attempt at B&W

I was more interested in the shape of the cloud against the forms of the mountains and trees. I added a touch of sepia. Did I do right or what could I have done to improve it, apart from not taking it in the first place?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

re: A first attempt at B&W

Quote Originally Posted by Mito View Post
    I was more interested in the shape of the cloud against the forms of the mountains and trees.
    And for a first attempt at B & W that's a pretty good way of thinking about it.

For my taste you've overdone the sepia tone, but that is always a matter of personal preference.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

re: A first attempt at B&W

I don't think you have overdone the toning, especially if that is the look that you are going for. However, I would call it gold toning rather than sepia toning. The sepia look is more red-brown.

Notice the bright light where the mountains join the sky. That appears to be the result of post-processing rather than sunlight if I understand the direction of the light properly.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: A first attempt at B&W

Thanks to you both for the comments, much appreciated.
    I'll recolour the sepia, the problem is that at the moment all my PP is done on a cheap laptop so the colours you see are certainly different to those I see.
    The sun was where the bright light is. I darkened the scene down and increased the contrast to hopefully give a more dramatic effect.