Thread: My version of what it takes

Real Name
    randy

My version of what it takes

Terri posed a thread earlier this week that detailed what she did to set up a shot. I felt that this was a realistic account of the true art of nature photography that is useful to those interested in this style. I feel compelled to contribute my "flow".

I set out capture the hummingbird visiting the backyard feeder. I spent the last 2 months acclimatizing the resident birds to my presence, so that I am able to sit in a lawn chair within shooting distance and observe behavior. It is interesting to note what seems to be inter-species patterns of behavior, the hummingbird frequently shows up immediately after chickadees show up.

I set up my Nikon D90 on a tripod with a Sigma 400mm 5.6 set at Aperture Priority for f/8, auto iso, 1/1000 sec. I sat in the chair, waited............friend shows up and fidgets around for half an hour, scaring birds to kingdom come........., friend leaves and calm prevails.

Hummingbird shows up and I fumble with remote....hummingbird flies away.

30 minutes later, hummingbird returns, I take my shots........images are under exposed and too much grain,
    iso 1600......have to lower iso to at least 800 and increase exposure........adjust to iso 800 max and exposure compensation to +1, take a test shot of feeder and all is well

30 minutes later, hummingbird returns, I take my shots........images are still under exposed, but grain is much better..........I forgot about the effect of the hummingbird on auto settings,I decide to bracket the next series at 2-stop intervals

30 minutes later, hummingbird returns, I take my shots........now I'm getting somewhere, the best exposure seems to be around 1/100 sec, but too much motion blur. I go manual at 1/160 sec, f/5.6, iso 400

30 minutes later, hummingbird returns, I take my shots........

Last edited by rtbaum; 4th August 2013 at 05:08 PM.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: My version of what it takes

Your perserverance paid off, nice ones, sadly we don't have the little beasties down here
    I got myself a 45foot extension cord for my cable release on Ebay some years back [ Panasonic ]

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Good series and results Randy, very informative.

My observations:
    The wings back position in 2nd & 3rd shots is better for seeing more sharp bird
    It looks a shady spot, apart from the glass feeder, which seems to be top lit and much brighter than the subject

I wonder if anything can be done about that last one (first is pot luck);
    At those shutter speeds, a bit of fill flash is possible - assuming the hummers would stand it (I think someone here uses it)
    Alternatively I wondered about a passive reflector, although getting the direction right to look natural might be one issue, with increased acclimatisation period being another - aside from the practicalities, especially if outside and it gets breezy

Not sure that helps you much, but I enjoyed the read and the pictures, thanks

Real Name
    randy

My apologies, I wrongfully credited Christina as my inspiration for this post, I should have credited Terri (terrib). Although Christina is pretty darn inspirational in her own right

Real Name
    John

Nice captures.