Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Taking Christmas Seriously

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Taking Christmas Seriously

At my youngest daughter's insistance we took a late-at-night drive to find Christmas Lights. Although we live a 1/2 hour drive from the city, it turns out that the best of them all was just a few blocks away.

As luck would have it, I didn't have my tripod with me - so shot this 1/25th @ ISO 1600 hand held ... and this wasn't even 1/2 of it!

Taking Christmas Seriously

Real Name
    John

Re: Taking Christmas Seriously

Colin,

Very nice shot, I've been working on a still life with similar lighting and and found your settings helpful.

John

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Colin,

Very nice shot, I've been working on a still life with similar lighting and and found your settings helpful.

John
    Thanks John,

The settings were more "desperation" than anything else! If I'd had a tripod I'd have used a much lower ISO and much longer exposure, but the joy of shots like this is that you can leave the high-ISO noise pretty much buried in the shadows.

The other "quick & dirty trick" is to apply a gaussean blur to the whole image (to help remove the noise) and then just use the history brush to revert all the "good stuff".

Nice photo.

Is that flare at the right side of the image where the red and blue lights are?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing fire View Post
    Nice photo.

Is that flare at the right side of the image where the red and blue lights are?
    Hi Blazingfire,

Thanks for the kind words

No, I don't think it's flare - just blown highlights (eg red channel), which is pretty common in this type of image. This was taken with a wide-angle lens, so I was a lot closer to the lights you mentioned, than the others.