Thread: So I dropped the D600 from 1.5 metres on to the ground

Real Name
    Peter

So I dropped the D600 from 1.5 metres on to the ground

Yep, pretty stupid all in all.

I keep my D600 and lenses in a Lowepro Slingshot 202 AW. Great bag by the way and offers ample protection under normal circumstances.

Anyway, in this case the Lowepro was on a shelf and I had zipped open the bag to get the D600 with attached Nikkor 18-35mm out. Somehow, I really don't know why, I decided to get the whole bag out instead...

...of course () I forgot to zip up the bag first. So, while the bag was still in my hands and tilted downwards the camera and 18-35mm dropped out (too quick to catch) and approximately 1.2 kilos was on its way to the carpeted ground.

I was a bit stunned, so cursed first, put the bag down and picked the camera up. I think the first point of contact was the edge below the screen and/or underside. The outside of the camera looked good, the carpet must have helped with that and everything was still attached (lens) and inside (battery).
    So, I turned the camera on and pushed the shutter button. It seemed to focus, but slow and it didn't want to take a photo.

Long story short: the lens was fine, as the camera probably took the main hit but the mirror wouldn't go fully up anymore. Something must have shifted internally. In manual the camera still worked sort off, but it only produced half (normal) format photos, the rest was greyish, as it was obstructed by the mirror.

That was Sunday. On Monday I brought the camera in to the Nikon repair centre (15 minutes drive from my house) and they said I would probably hear from them in a week's time.

But, yesterday (Wednesday) it was already ready to be picked up. Mirror repaired, focus re-aligned and sensor cleaned. All for free.
    After testing it at home I felt ok with it. All lenses are working normally and photos look fine.

This was great service and fast. I always liked Nikon, but am aware of the many, many things they could be handling better.
    Still, this is the kind of thing that would keep me hooked on a brand I feel.

Now all I have to do is remember that the bag should stay closed when I take it off the shelf.

Real Name
    Greg

Re: So I dropped the D600 from 1.5 metres on to the ground

A good news story Peter. Glad it worked out ok for you. Scary dropping your pride and joy, did it once myself with thankfully no ill effects.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

There's nothing better than a story with a happy ending and a lesson learned.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Better idea leave on floor never on a shelf where it could fall, or at least a lower shelf. Glad that everything turned out ok.

Cheers:

Allan

Peter:

I've been using a Lowepro Slingshot for about six years (the 303) and had the same thing happen to me - fortunately from a much lower height and onto a carpet.

For the longest time I wondered why there were two small straps with quick release locks at the right side (closest to the opening).

When these are closed, a camera can be removed from the case but nothing else will fall out (even if the opening is completely un-zippered). I concluded that they are to prevent accidents like ours from happening.

Glenn

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    Peter:
    For the longest time I wondered why there were two small straps with quick release locks at the right side (closest to the opening).

When these are closed, a camera can be removed from the case but nothing else will fall out (even if the opening is completely un-zippered). I concluded that they are to prevent accidents like ours from happening.

Glenn
    Glenn, let me emphasize once more what was stupid about my actions and by the way I know about those straps.
    But even with the straps closed and the zipper open, the camera will still fall out (that Lowepro has a nice smooth inside I noticed), which is exactly what happened in my case.
    So, my conclusion is that the bag is not totally FOOL proof. If I lived in the US I would probably sue Lowepro for not warning me about this.

Real Name
    Dave

Me too. Now I know (I just fastened them). Ta.

Real Name
    Martin

I thought I was the only person to drop their camera from a partially zipped bag?!?

We've just returned from Germany and Switzerland. While visiting family in Luxembourg (long story) I managed to drop my K30/18-135WR out of the backpack on my back and onto the concrete sidewalk. It was my fault... I hadn't done up the zip all the way and I estimate the camera fell from roughly mid-back height... makes it a meter... more or less.

After I heard the awful thud of camera gear hitting concrete and the clatter of plastic bits scattering far and wide, I said a few words not suitable for this forum and turned to pick up the pieces.

The hood (was reversed on the lens) had popped off, as had the lens cap. The little filter window tab thingy had popped out of the hood as well. Thankfully those were the only bits that seemed to have come off the camera.

After arriving at our vacation rental in Germany, I had a closer look at the camera. A few scuff marks on the case and a very bent filter. Judicious attempts to unscrew the filter from the lens failed.

I took a deep breath and powered on the camera. Powered up OK, display looks correct but no autofocus...thankfully the switch was in MF (must have snagged on the way out of the backpack) and once in AF, everything appeared to work fine. Zoom felt OK, focussing appears accurate and just as quick.

Now the problem... I still couldn't get the filter off the lens. No amount of muscle (or at least what I'm capable of) could get it to turn.

After arriving home yesterday, I had another go at getting the filter off. I tried using one of those rubber discs for unscrewing stubborn jar lids... no joy. Quick trip to the camera store today didn't help. They had a go and couldn't get it to budge but did offer a couple of suggestions.

When I got home again, I grabbed a pair of "Vise Grip" pliers and bent the filter ring (which is/was bent inwards) a bit closer to round. The filter glass got marred slightly, but it was a write-off anyway. Another go with the rubber disc and it started to move!

A few more goes with the pliers and some brute force and the filter finally came loose. Thankfully the threads on the lens appear undamaged and a new filter screwed on just fine.

Happily, I appear to have dodged a bullet!

Real Name
    Ken

Cheaper a filter than a lens!

Real Name
    Richard

That wouldn't have happened in the USA! Because you would have dropped it from five feet

I can relate to the feelings you had... I tripped on the street while wearing a anon 40D + 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on a neck strap. The lens hit the ground first with a sickening crunch but, surprisingly only the lens hood was damaged. Thankfully, the lens and camera were safe. I will never use a camera without a lens hood - indoors or out!

BTW: The hood was a round screw-in version, not the Canon stock hood!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 6th August 2013 at 03:25 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

You were lucky too Martin, no real damage. But that sinking feeling you get just after the event, I'll remember that for a while when I zip up the bag.

Real Name
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Letrow View Post
    You were lucky too Martin, no real damage. But that sinking feeling you get just after the event, I'll remember that for a while when I zip up the bag.
    Oh yeah... that awful sound and feeling of "OH NO!!" It's worse than the sound of balsa and plywood smacking into the ground (RC airplanes) because at least with the airplane there's a chance you can salvage some parts or glue it back together.....