Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Turkey Tux

Turkey Tux

The turkey left me his jacket in his will so I thought I would put it to some use.

Turkey Tux

Turkey Tux

Real Name
    Pete

Re: Turkey Tux

poor old turkey...

You're having fun with that box! I think I want one.

I'm really not in any position to critique anyone else's image, but I LOVE the first photo. Black border sets it off. The subject would challenge my ability to keep the downsized image sharp...but you obviously know what you are doing.

Thanks for that.

Hans

Apologies for not replying earlier. I would advise that you never use the 'save for web' function in your photo editor. Always use the 'resize' function to create a copy of the image you wish to. Obviously resized within the dimensions permitted by the forum. I personally have a SmugMug account and that allows me to create a link to an preset image size (I use XL size for this forum).

Please do not hesitate to make your views known on the forum. For me the most testing reviews of photographic images are from non-photographers....they are usually the main audience. Fellow photographers carry a lot of baggage around particularly if they have a tendency for strive for technical excellence at the expense of artistic license. Having said that the guys and gals on this forum are very objective in their views and you will find their input extremely useful regardless of your skill level.

Steve

Did you build your own lightbox for these shots?

You've made me want to go take pictures of tin foil...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

Seems you're a bit of a tin foil sculpter too

Half the art in this is how you scrunch it up, then comes the photography.

Prefer #2.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hans,

On the topic of hosting pictures elsewhere and what links to use here, I'd be wary - i.e. I recommend you do your own tests with your host.

I say this because if you upload one large size to your host, then use the host's automatically generated smaller size images to link in here, you have lost control of both the downsize method used and the jpg quality

I make a point of uploading (to PBase) the size I want people to see here (usually between 800 and 1200 wide) then make sure I use the 'original' size link here, that way I am in control

I downsize myself, then output sharpen, then locally Save As <image name_W1200.jpg>, which is what I upload, I might also keep an (nsharpened) original resolution version locally.

Hi Steve,

I'm not knocking your process or Smugmug, and since you're using XL, that implies minimal downsizing is being done (by them), so there's more chance your sharpening will mostly make it through. Certainly I haven't noticed your shots being soft. Also, Smugmug may do it better than anyone I have encountered.

Cheers,