Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canada Goose Twin Silhouettes

Real Name
    Ali

Canada Goose Twin Silhouettes

I went down to a local pond tonight before sunset hoping to capture some swan and duck photos. I was watching a duck and her ducklings swimming when I heard the geese coming. They were overhead before I could hardly get my camera lifted and focused on them. This is the shot I captured.

I kind of liked it, the colors and the clouds. There were a lot of big white billowy clouds with dark and golden areas. This is the original size. I have not cropped it because I didn't want to lose the dark area in the lower left. What do you think? Should I crop to a smaller size or maybe I should just press delete. C and C welcome.

Canon T3 and Canon 55-250mm lens
    F10, 1/2000, iso 800, 100mm

Canada Goose Twin Silhouettes
    Last edited by ajsmith; 31st July 2013 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Forgot camera settings

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Canada Goose Twin Silhouettes

IMO silhouettes don't work against a blue sky/white cloud situation like this. They work very well with sunrise/sunset colors.

Real Name
    Ali

OK, thanks for the tip.

I guess I like the blue sky and clouds, but thought something wasn't quite right with the picture.

Real Name
    Dan

Ali, it is a matter of mental perception. Our minds associate blue sky with plenty of light and we expect to see detail. On the other hand we are used to seeing things silhouetted against sunrise/sunset. This photo doesn't provide a context of time and space so the viewer's brain will apply it's own context. And for most that is going to be blue sky/white clouds = bright light.