Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: NOOK HD+ Tablet with PIXIE REEF

Real Name
    Richard

NOOK HD+ Tablet with PIXIE REEF

I just purchased a Barnes and Noble 9-inch Nook HD+ Tablet and have installed Pixie Reef Fish Bowl Gallery as my image program.

This is a great combination. The HD+ 9-inch screen is large enough to view photos and the clarity is exceptional.

I will keep my images on a 32gb micro SD card which the Nook and Pixie Reef Fish Bowl Gallery can easily access. I have the 32gb card with an SD adapter which fits into an adapter with a USB connection. It is really easy to copy images to the SD card using the USB Connector.

They say that Pixie Reef is good for persons 4-years old and up so, I might be able to master it

I can carry my images around when I meet other photographers as well as having all my images of my rescue dogs as a slide show which I can play during our rescue events.

The Nook HD+ is a proprietary Barnes and Noble tablet and the nearby store has classes in its use as well as their representatives being ready to answer any of my questions. I believe that B&N is getting out of the Nook business but, will still support the Nooks out there. The price was significantly lowered. I got it on sale before I left for Europe and loaded several travel books at a greatly reduced price over hard copy paper editions. The difference in price between the electronic editions and the hard copy editions made the price of the Nook certainly attractive.

The Pixie Reef Fish Bowl Gallery (what a silly name!) app runs only three U.S. Dollars and works great...
    www.pixiereef.com

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Re: NOOK HD+ Tablet with PIXIE REEF

Cool, looks like that's convenient to carry around.

You can use it in the field to check images. Just slide in the card, presto, instant replay.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: NOOK HD+ Tablet with PIXIE REEF

My cameras use CF cards, not CD cards. However, I can connect my camera to the tablet with the USB to Nook cable and view my images. In fact, I believe (have not done it yet) that I can control my Canon DSLR cameras with the Nook if it is connected by the USB cable. I plan on experimenting with this method today...

I really like the fact that I can use the 32gb SD cards which actually provides unlimited memory. The Nook HD+ specs indicate that 32gb is the maximum size SD you can use however; the B&N tech who gave the class on the Nook stated that he has used 64gb micro SD cards. Whatever, 32gb is a lot of memory.

I am using a Samsung 32gb micro SD card. Since it has no class designation on the card, I believe that it is a slower Class-2 card. The Nook can use up to Class-6 cards, anything faster is just a waste. However the speed of the card is only critical for uploading files. Viewing files or images (I am told) is equally as fast no matter the speed of the card. I uploaded 128 fairly large JPEG images from via Adobe Bridge directly to the 32gb Samsung card and it was a reasonably fast transfer.

The three shortcomings of the Nook HD+ for me are:

1. The lack of a physical keyboard. This shortcoming is for all tablets, not just the Nook HD+ but, this old man is more comfortable with a physical keyboard than using a virtual keyboard. I have ordered an accessory case with a physical querty bluetooth keyboard from Amazon.com at a fairly reasonable price (about half the price that the B&N store charges). That will solve the lack of keyboard problem...

2. The USB/Power cord has a USB connector at one end and a proprietary connector at the other end. This means that I could not use a spare USB/USB cable if my Nook OEM cable is lost or damaged. However, I am purchasing an extra USB/Nook cable from Amazon to have as a spare...

3. The Nook HD+ has only one speaker which is not great for sound. However bluetooth speakers or accessory wired speakers are available in all different types, grades and prices...

Another lack is a video/still camera capability. However since I would never use that capability; the lack of it doesn'r bother me...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 28th July 2013 at 04:44 PM.