Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon D300 w/SB600 flash

Real Name
    Bruce

Nikon D300 w/SB600 flash

When using a SB600 flash mounted on the hotshoe of my D300 (I was only using this one flash), taking an outside portrait is the flash going to possibly synch at a shutter speed other than 1/60?
    I encountered this situation tonight. I do not use fill flash very often so I do not know if this is normal.
    Any assistance will be appreciated.

Bruce

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Nikon D300 w/SB600 flash

It should sync up to 1/250th sec. The speed will depend on what shooting mode you have set, flash mode and the lighting. Remember you can you can set flash exposure compensation in addition to any set for the camera. Taking indoor shots with large windows showing the outside view I often take pictures with the camera exposure compensation set to -2 or lower and the flash compensation set to +3 and the flash bounced off a ceiling.

It should all be covered in the camera manual otherwise just google it.

Real Name
    John

Bruce - As with any type of photography with your camera, you need to be in either program, manual or shutter priority to control the shutter speed. A 1/60th is the default minimum shutter speed in the other modes.

John
    Last edited by PhotomanJohn; 25th July 2013 at 02:59 AM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by PhotomanJohn View Post
    Bruce - As with any type of photography with your camera, you need to be in either program, manual or shutter priority to control the shutter speed. A 1/60th is the default maximum shutter speed in the other modes.

John
    John, the camera was set for aperture priority NOT in program, shutter priority, or manual. I contacted Nikon Technical Support.
    Based on the fact that the flash was used as a fill flash, they stated this was normal.

Bruce

Real Name
    Bruce

I checked other photos, that I have on an external hard drive, where I used the SB600 as a fill flash. Sure enough the flash synch speed varied. Where the background was light the SS varied from 1/80 to 1/125. Where the background was dark it was synch at 1/60.

Bruce