Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Waikiki isn't all sand and surf...

Real Name
    Shane

Waikiki isn't all sand and surf...

There is a good dose of consumerism as well along Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki...some shots from a walkabout I did last night.

f3.2 1/60 ISO 800 50mm

While some might enjoy this becoming hula statue on its own, I found the her pensive gaze on the t-shirts in this shop quite a sad statement on what a vacation to Hawaii has become for many visitors. Waikiki was once the home to the Ali'i (royalty) and where hotels a retail establishments now sit there were once taro fields and fishponds.

f1.8 1/60 ISO 200 50mm

A little more modern in this window display but still trying to sell Waikiki's heyday in the 40's and 50's with the vintage inspired sign.

Any comments and/or suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Re: Waikiki isn't all sand and surf...

Shane, like the first pic. I think your take on her gaze.

karm

Real Name
    Lex

These are neat. Vaguely creepy. The hula girl in the first shot looks pissed, and the strange shadows over her face add a dark vibe. Second shot reminds me of The Stepford Wives and the style of art from the Bioshock or Fallout series.

Both shots look a little less than critically sharp to me - might be from downsizing. But other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. Great work!

Real Name
    Shane

Thank you Karm & Lex. Despite the festive atmosphere I found a lot of what I saw to be very contrary to the idea of Hawaii as a tropical paradise (unless you love shopping and I don't) and I tried to express that in these images.

I must admit to having challenges with hand held shooting at night on these shots. It really wasn't feasible to use a tripod for these shots due to the crowded sidewalks in Waikiki.

I bumped up the ISO to get the shutter speed higher and used my fastest lens (50mm 1.8) but I guess I still got some camera shake. I also added a slight Orton effect to the images in PP. I checked the PP files today to see if removing the Orton effect improved the crispness but there was no marked change ad I do like the glow that it gave the images.

Given my body (the Nikon D40X) is about six years old and doesn't handle noise as well as newer models I was hesitant to go above ISO800 (on the first shot) but certainly could have bumped it up from 200 in the second.