Thread: Old Warbird

Real Name
    Paul

Old Warbird

The Commemorative Air Force was in town for the past three days with a Boeing B-17G. This aircraft was built in 1945 and flew 33 missions in WWII. About 5,000 were lost in the war and there are only a few flyable 17's left. I shot this with a 35 mm on a FF body. I like this view but unfortunately I cut off the peoples' legs and feet. I was primarily interested in the aircraft when I shot this. Afterwards, I thought the people added a lot of interest and scale and regretted how I had framed the shot. Anyway, it's an interesting image (to me) of the old girl. Now I'll have to watch my copy of "Twelve O'Clock High."

Old Warbird

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Old Warbird

Nice image, Paul. Can you imagine the view the bombardier had?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Yes I like this one too Paul. Interesting shot with excellent exposure and clarity.

It doesn't bother me that the people have their feet cut off and they do add interest. It's almost as if they are discussing their flight plan !

Dave

Real Name
    Bob R

Thanks Paul,

My dad flew that baby, I still have his log book, and my mom, did the paintings on them babies (and they were not decals). I have pictures of her doing it even.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I also agree that it's fine that you haven't included the people's feet. I like the spaciousness of the sky and the size and perspective of the airplane.

Real Name
    Christina

I think that is a wonderful plane photo. I like the people for the perspective.

As someone who is learning I would like to ask how you captured all the reflections and the shine on the plane? I expect that this must be a challenge to do? Thank you.

Real Name
    Glenn

Great photo I also like the people for the perspective here is Sally B (yes it has Memphis Bell on the nose still on there from the Film but it has Sally B on the other side) taken at Duxford airfield near Cambridge UK.

Old Warbird

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Nice image Paul - the guys below the nose certainly add scale. The thought of sitting in the front gun turret in action is quite terrifying

Real Name
    Derek

This isn't a great photo but I feel it is a nice one of the B-17 in action...took last Saturday at a bike meet I attended...Old Warbird

Real Name
    Paul

Bob R,

That is amazing that your Dad flew this bomber. Bomber crews had tremendous courage to face the long odds against surviving 25 missions. My uncle was a flight engineer on B-24's in the Pacific from 1943 to 1945. Twenty years later (1965), I was based in the Philippines like he was fighting a different enemy in Vietnam.

Christina,

The airplane is painted in glossy aluminum paint which gives nice reflections. I lightened up the shadows a little in post-processing. I was lucky to have a photogenic sky of fluffy clouds.

I have more B-17 images plus CAF's B-29 and B-24, taken yesterday. They are working their way to Oshkosh, Wisconsin for the annual EAA convention. I may post these later.

Thank you for your comments!

Paul S

Real Name
    Bob R

Paul, here is a picture my dad took of what he called the Paint Team, they only worked on specific planes. My mom is the third from the left.

Old Warbird

Real Name
    Dan

Really an interesting thread. My dad also flew bombers in WW2. He flew the Navy version of the B-24 in the Pacific theater. My mom was an Army nurse in the Phillipines where they met.

Real Name
    Bob R

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Really an interesting thread. My dad also flew bombers in WW2. He flew the Navy version of the B-24 in the Pacific theater. My mom was an Army nurse in the Phillipines where they met.
    So that makes you an "army brat" but the Navy version. Just kidding 😬, my mom, brothers and I followed my dad around and when they found out my mom was a sign painter they (company commander) asked her to head a team of artists for the good of the service. She also did the pilot pictures but they never got credit for it, it would always go to the pilot in this case it was fine with her as dad was the pilot. 😆

Real Name
    Glenn

Sorting through my photos and found this old photo I hade taken back in July 2008 at Duxford airfield of three B17’s

Old Warbird

Real Name
    Paul

This is really interesting. The Air Force didn't have their airplanes painted like these B-17's but sometimes a budding artist would draw something in grease pencil. Here is the most "artistic nose art" I saw at Danang AB in 1965. This was on one of our B-57's (I loaded the bombs). This is a scan of a 35 mm slide. I shot with a Pentax camera and Ektachrome 64 back then.

Paul S

Old Warbird

Real Name
    Bob R

Thats awesome Paul. Yeah, that is real pilot art

Found another of the pre pilot art, 1945:

Old Warbird

The one on the right is my mom, she is now 95 and still going strong. Still looking for one with my dad at the controls