Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Salad food shot

Real Name
    Natalie

Salad food shot

Need advice on how to improve this shot. Any advice appreciated...thank you!

Salad food shot

Real Name
    Noel

Re: Salad food shot

hi Nat,
    My advice ..... eat it (I have to say, the lettuce looks crisp).
    Seriously though, it looks fine to me.
    - Noel

Real Name
    Natalie

My advice ..... eat it (I have to say, the lettuce looks crisp).
    Thanks, Noel, I did.
    And thank you for your response.....all those views, and no advice.....sigh....Looking at it myself, though, I did find one tiny visible wire....oops...

Real Name
    Kaye Leggett

Hi Nat. A good shot, not sure which bit you'd eat first though. My first reaction was the white background is too stark, so maybe play with differing background colours ? Any help ?

Real Name
    Warrick

Raspberries and mushrooms an interesting combination. Are you trying to make it look like the food is falling onto the plate ?
    Personally I think there needs to be more of a gap between each fruit/veg to create that look.

Real Name
    Natalie

Thanks, Kaye and Warrick. I will have to try some muted background colors...Maybe reshoot on black and see what that does. I was going for a dramatic salad shot.....Yes, I think you are right, Warrick, but where I was going to enter it, they don't want photoshopping like clone.....so I tried not to show the wire holding the fruit up....so I didn't have to clone it out...I think I will try it again to make it look like it's falling into the plate, but just for me, not to enter it.....I ate the whole salad after the shoot, as it was, mushrooms and raspberries, and to tell you the truth, it was quite good! I think I would have added some sliced red onion to it....I am on an all natural diet, and salads are a big part of the diet.....

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Hi Nat.

I like the clarity, color and lighting. I also like the white background. The composition does not look natural because of the fruits and veggies behind the plate, which seem to grow out of nowhere. Seeing the skewered food leaning unsupported creates too much for my brain to comprehend.

I do not have any specific recommendations, but if I were doing the setup, would consider making 2 images. One of the plate without the skewered food, and the second with the skewered fruits and veggies hung from a string, rope or thread.

Real Name
    Natalie

Thank you, Ken. The veggies are on a spiral of wire, and actually above the plate, not behind it, but looking at it, they do appear behind it....hmmm....I could do the string....but then I would have to photoshop the string out, and the entry is not supposed to have any photoshopping like cloning in it.....I agree, it would make a better image.......I have done something like that with leaves and pumpkin in the past.....it works quite well.....but using photoshop to clone out the string. Oh, well. I may try it again, this time putting the fruit more in the position above the plate. Or I may go with something entirely different....Thank you for your input!!
    Salad food shot