Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Young man working on Vespa bikes

Real Name
    António Correia

Young man working on Vespa bikes

When I stopped at the traffic lights I spoted this young man - who will be tomorrow, the 26th July 2008, 31 years old - I know him since he was a young child.
    I yelled at him and asked if I could make some shots of his activity in the garage where he works on restoration of Vespa models.
    I arranged a meeting with him for 5 o'clock and drag some of my stuff with me.
    This time and as usual, I took the 5D + 16-35 + 24-70 + ST-E2 + flashes + supports for them + plastic reflector (some 80/80 cm * 2).

Here are the photos I shot of him, or some of them.
    I had a success rate of about 10-15 % which is very good I think.
    Without hesitation I threw away (erased) all the picture not tack sharp and those where I simply failed or the flashes were to blame because they were lazy asking for holidays not working when I asked two shots in a row.
    This time I applied some different "treatments" HDR like, to some pics simply working on Lightroom.
    Comments please. Thank you people !
    Young man working on Vespa bikes - Young man working on Vespa bikes - Young man working on Vespa bikes - Young man working on Vespa bikes

Real Name
    Ian

Re: Young man working on Vespa bikes

Antonio,

The first shot achieves what I was saying in the shoemaker post about the guy being the subject and his nonchalant look is just perfect. The frame of the Vespa excludes irrelevant detail, but it is still clearly a workshop.

I guess the lighting in such a small space was quite challenging again?

An interesting effect on your final shot.

Real Name
    António Correia

Re: Young man working on Vespa bikes

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Antonio,
    The first shot achieves what I was saying in the shoemaker post about the guy being the subject and his nonchalant look is just perfect. The frame of the Vespa excludes irrelevant detail, but it is still clearly a workshop.
    I guess the lighting in such a small space was quite challenging again?
    An interesting effect on your final shot.
    On the first picture he was mounting the cylinder of the motorbike and I just asked him to look at me.
    Sensitive (can I say this word, is it correct ?) to your critique in terms of attitude of the photographed person next time I am going to shoot differently. You will see.

The area was also small but not that much as you cans ee by the "larger" photos.

The last one was just an experiment with Lightroom mimicking HDR.

Thank you for your comments, which I do appreciate.
    I hope to be able to go on with this serie of portraits.
    I have a professional photographer to shoot in his own environment.

Young man working on Vespa bikes
    This one is a little burned on our right ...