Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stumble Upon

Real Name
    Tom

Stumble Upon

Returning to work after a short summer storm this scene presented itself, a lifeguard waiting for the storm to pass so she too could return to work. #StreetPhotography

I have processed this photo several different ways and like this one the best. I would love to hear C&C from others on what they like, don't like, suggestions etc...

Stumble Upon

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Stumble Upon

That is priceless, only thing repost larger so I can get a better look in the lightbox. Again love it.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Tom

Thank you Allan for the feedback. I only managed to get 2 shots before she sat up, the other one she was in the process of sitting up. Of course I went over and introduced myself and got her permission to keep the photo.

How do I post photos in the lightbox?

Real Name
    james

LOve that shot Tom . The lightbox is acheived when you click on someones photo for enlarging , I think. my computer crashed and it has not put photos in the lightbox since. Back to your image though. Thats a lucky stumble and a great job documenting it.

Real Name
    Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by HiImTom View Post
    Of course I went over and introduced myself and got her permission to keep the photo.
    Hi Tom. An interesting photo. A few things I'd like to mention and give my c&c.

Regarding the quoted text above, it is often the polite thing to do what you mentioned (go introduce yourself, etc) but just in case you didn't know, you are not required to ask for permission to keep photos. Most of the time, you can take photos of pretty much anyone and anything that is in a public location. Even if someone doesn't want you taking pictures of them, as long as you aren't harassing them continuously, you are free to snap a few. Depending on the use of said photos, i.e. how and where they would be published, may or may not require a model release. But taking photos, and using them, are two separate things which have different "rules."

On to the photo! It does grab my interest. As others said, you should post a larger version, I'd say at least 2 times the dimensions shown here. Here are my thoughts and suggestions:

- Because of the somber tone of the photo, I would try a version that is much darker and more contrasty/aggressive for the clouds. I'd make them look "angrier."

- Overall, I find the photo to be lacking contrast and a bit flat, though it may be an artistic choice that you made.

- I'd try a vignette on any versions I make because the center is the focal point so you want to draw the viewer in.

- At the small size it's hard to see detail in the lady's jacket, but it looks really dark. I'd lighten up the jacket a little maybe.

- And now, moving on to another possible version that I really think would be amazing: I'd crop the left and right 1/3 of the photo off, keeping only the center 1/3. I'd leave the height of the photo as it is. So you'd have a super tall vertical shot with the tiny subject at bottom, and the clouds hovering above. I'd punch up cloud contrast and add a slight vignette. Maybe lighten up the wood bench a tiny bit.

- Finally, since you were speaking to her in person, I wonder if you could have convinced her to resume laying on the bench so you could try a few other photographic angles. I would be tempted to use as wide of an angle as possible, but get up close, so the bench and subject are in foreground more prominently, but you are still showing the sky. Just some thoughts.

Thanks for sharing and I hope some of my feedback was helpful.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks for the feedback and all the wonderful information. I appreciate the heads up on the rules of engagement. The lifeguard was laying out right in front of the jobsite, so I assumed not to do that to her there in that moment. Besides, I wanted to speak to the Mrs. about taking photos of other women before I seriously engaged that situation Give me five, I'm still alive. She was appreciate of me offering to delete the photo etc...maybe next time if the circumstances are different.

I love your suggestions and feedback, thank you. When I revisit this one I am thinking of lowering the noise in the darker clouds. The part I struggled with was the jacket. It is so dark and it felt very "fake" any lighter than where it is now. Any suggestions?

My original posted version was with the concept of tagging it as "Street Photography". My understanding is that it is not supposed to be processed much. I am not very informed needless to say, do you know if that is true? I did alter another at the same time with a little darker feel to it, but tried not to over process it. I was not very happy, but posted it below for reference.

This is a darker version of street photography version.
    Stumble Upon

This is a a tighter crop, although not 1/3 still includes some of fencing. This is "angrier version".
    Stumble Upon

Tighter crop of the darker street photography version.
    Stumble Upon

1/3 crop of the "angrier version".
    Stumble Upon

Real Name
    Matthew

I love your suggestions and feedback, thank you. When I revisit this one I am thinking of lowering the noise in the darker clouds. The part I struggled with was the jacket. It is so dark and it felt very "fake" any lighter than where it is now. Any suggestions?
    Glad I could help a little. I agree you should try removing the noise in the clouds. I don't know if you have photoshop or not, but if it were me I'd duplicate the photo/layer and run noise reduction, then mask out the bottom so you only have reduced the noise in the sky, leaving the sand untouched. The tone of the jacket in the angrier version is perfect. I can see some tonal gradation there instead of it looking all black.

My original posted version was with the concept of tagging it as "Street Photography". My understanding is that it is not supposed to be processed much. I am not very informed needless to say, do you know if that is true? I did alter another at the same time with a little darker feel to it, but tried not to over process it.
    I tend not to label things much...to me, a photo is a photo..I guess you can determine a subject or type of photo in general, but I wouldn't box myself into labeling something as certain category. I think I know what you are talking about though, regarding Street Photography. My take is that how you process it would depend on the final use of the photo. If you are a documentary journalist, you will want to optimize the photo technically, but leave all elements as they were. If you wanted to make fine art and did not have any problem presenting things differently, then you could process however you want. Interestingly, I have been "battling" this same principle in my photography recently. Since I shoot wildlife mostly, I find myself trying to decide how far I'm willing to go in editing to make the shot look really good (as in, how many branches, twigs, or other distractions can I clone out before I've taken it too far). I am still trying to develop my comfort zone with this, and it's a tough call. I think I will make my decision on a per photo basis and also on how and where the photo will be used. Publishing in a scientific context would require virtually no creative editing, whereas I am thinking that one day I might sell fine art prints in which case I will be more liberal in optimizing the photos to create a "masterpiece" (and will be open with everyone about what kind of editing I've done)

Finally, I think the last version of your photo has excellent tones, contrast, etc but I like the crop you made just above that. So I'd apply the processing in the last shot to the crop in the shot above that, and say you would have a great photo.

Real Name
    Tom

You helped a lot, I am going to edit it some more later tonight if I don't pass out from working in this heat all day, lol. I don't have PS but I know I can edit the noise in LR with the adjustment brush to apply selective areas. I will share it when it is done.

Don't get me started on labels. I spend most of day lost in the sea of duality to all that is. Too many darn labels on everything and everyone! I find photography helps me settle those contrasting aspects to life, lol. I can see your points on the difference of use and agree. I think by labeling it street photography it just allows the viewer to know this was not a setup shot. I feel it would look very different if I was working with a model. Mabe less thinking and more shooting photos is the answer to it all.

It's funny, my wife and I both liked that shot too. It is weird how at first glance you discard some and later come to appreciate them. I am learning to be more patient and sit on things for a bit before processing and publishing.