Thread: Rainy day barns C&C please

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Rainy day barns C&C please

I was out this last week hoping for a break in the clouds to get some shots of these old barns with a dramatic sky.
    The desired break never came. I did some shots anyway to use the diffused light. Of course; this was the last and I did not adjust the exposure compensation (in the rest of the shots it was adjusted to save detail in the clouds to the right) to account for the darkened conditions as the clouds thickened. So it is underexposed in the original but has the best clouds of the day. Never checked as it was shoot the image and chuck the camera back in the bag to scarper back to the truck before the rain came pelting down.

I want opinions and/or variants on my post processing. I am happy with it but maybe others can see a better treatment

Rainy day barns  C&C please

The out of camera (sensor spots and horizon straightening done). Play away to your hearts content

Real Name
    Shane

Re: Rainy day barns C&C please

Trevor;

First let me thank you for showing the original and your PP'd version of this shot - it is really helpful to those of us still trying to wrap our heads around PP.

I will say that the clarity and vibrance that you added look great - I'm not sure that I could 'see' that end result from the original image. The only thing that I wonder about is if you could get some more detail out of the barn siding - I'm thinking that some selective sharpening or LCE just on the barns might enhance that even more?

Real Name
    Kevin

Trevor,

Congrats on a fine shot. I did a quick play, just increasing the overall contrast, and local contrast over the yellow field (to get a little separation of the darker linear areas), LCE , a touch of increased exposure and red/orange saturation on the face of the near barn, and LCE on the distant barn. Not at all sure it's any "better", just a slightly different interpretation.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

I am a bit of an extremist when it comes to photography its all or nothing with mood.

P.S. Very disappointed the farmer seems to have let the right-hand barn lean over again in spite of all the repairs I did to it a few months ago.
    Last edited by pnodrog; 14th July 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I do seem to need the sky darker. Kevin and Paul's versions catch the ominous nature better. I will have to learn to trust my instincts a little better. I either seem to be a minimalist when it comes to post processing or I end up overdoing it.

Paul: Sorry about the barn. The prevailing wind is just too excessive and with the wet spring the foundation was just too compromised to allow cosmetic repair to hold. I give this barn two or three more years, at most, before the snow takes it down.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

A black and white version, incorporating the suggested darkening of the sky, local contrast enhancement on the field and some darkening of the red and blue channels

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Trevor, nice image. All the various tweaks by other viewers are also quite good. My favorite version is Kevin's. I like the additional detail and that little orange spot on the left barn.

karm

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Thanks Karm: Kevin and Paul both did great service pointing out some improvements. It is always nice to have a fresh set of eyes (and brain) to point out where the image could, and often should, go