Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon firmware update D300s

Real Name
    Dave

Nikon firmware update D300s

I have recently been advised by Nikon that a firmware update is available for my D300s.
    I was wondering if anybody has installed this update. I am reluctant to install it on the grounds that my philosophy is 'if it ain't broke don't try to fix it' and my camera is working with no problems.
    Any advice would be very much appreciated

Real Name
    Ian

Re: Nikon firmware update D300s

You have a good point. You will find that Nikon will usually tell you the main reasons for the update, plus the usual general reasons. Take a look and see how relevant they may be to you. Often it is creating compatibility with new lenses, which may not concern you.
    It is usually better to wait to see if the update creates any other glitches for other users, otherwise you might have to wait a few months for them to create a fix, as the updates usually cannot be 'rolled back'. It has happened before, so dont be overkeen!

Real Name
    Ben

The firmware update came out January 6, 2010. From Nikon's official website:

This update is for the D300S model only, and not the D300. Do not attempt to upgrade the D300 with this firmware.

Support for 64 GB memory cards has been added.

When the Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D10 was used with AA batteries, the battery indicator showed that MB-D10 batteries were exhausted or power supply switched to the battery inserted in the camera even when sufficient charge remained with the MB-D10 batteries. This issue has been resolved.

When some memory cards were inserted in the camera, “CHA” was displayed in the top control panel and images could not be captured. This issue has been resolved.

While I have a D300S, I have not installed this update myself.

Real Name
    Robin

I have updated every single digital camera I have ever owned as soon as an update has become available and have never had the slightest bit of bother.

My advice - update your D300s.