Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Andre, Don't Look

Real Name
    Kevin

Andre, Don't Look

Andre is understandably sated with the cliché of silky water flows. I hope not to torture him.

The theme of this recent shoot was to experiment/practice with extended DoF, the inclusion of foreground objects to add visual depth, and add elements and perspectives that will hopefully enhance and not distract from the more typical and oft repeated shots of these locally iconic areas. I'm very interested in your thoughts and suggestions. All shot with Sony a99, Tamron 25-75 2.8, CPL filter, ISO 100

1. 45mm 4.0 sec @ f/16
    Andre, Don't Look

2. 50mm 3.2 sec @ f/29
    Andre, Don't Look

3. 28mm 4.0sec @ f/32
    Andre, Don't Look

4. 60mm 3.2sec @ f/25
    Andre, Don't Look

5. 40mm 4.0sec @ f/32
    Andre, Don't Look

Real Name
    Christina

Re: Andre, Don't Look

Wow.. All stunningly gorgeous. I adore all the foregrounds (except #4 something about the rock doesn't appeal to me)

Beautiful colours.. I think my favourite is #2.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Andre is understandably sated with the cliché of silky water flows.
    I, too, am not a great fan of silky water, but in terms of the task that you set for yourself, I think these are a huge success. I think the light is beautiful and each is a strong composition.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I applaud you sir for the way that you have worked the scene, additionally your PP is top notch.
    I usually have difficulty getting the color to match that well.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks, Christina, Donald and Chauncey.

Christina, I think #4 is a testimony to trying too hard to shoot an image no one else had. I was pretty sure no one would shoot a water falls disappearing into an boring rock. Why I posted it is another question. Quality assurance to see if anyone was quirky enough to like it? I don't know why I do what I do all the time. This is one of those times

Real Name
    Bruce

Nice photography Kevin.

Bruce

Real Name
    Allan Short

Kevin: Please leave me some shots for me, at this rate there will be none left when I travel there in August.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Kevin:
    Beautifully done. Your experiments were a success. Reconfirms my decision to switch to Sony. I now have two A77's. After seeing this, I may have to save for an A99. Each picture is wonderful, invoking a sense of serenity.

Real Name
    Nick K

Incredible shots!

Real Name
    Dan

Well I am a fan of silky water under the right circumstances and all of these shots qualify IMO. I'd say you accomplished what you set out to do. All of these compositions are well thought out and executed. There is something a bit disorienting about the angular rock face in upper right of no.2. Removing maybe 10 percent of the top of that one eliminates that angular distraction and doesn't lose anything of interest.

You have an excellent eye for composition. When given the opportunity to shoot locations like this I rarely come away satisfied with my results. Nos. 2 and 4 are comps that never would have crossed my mind and are both very effective. Nicely done.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I, too, am not a great fan of silky water, but in terms of the task that you set for yourself, I think these are a huge success. I think the light is beautiful and each is a strong composition.
    I agree with Donald.

In defence of photo #4, does the foreground rock perhaps add depth to the image?

Real Name
    Matthew

#4 is a testimony to trying too hard to shoot an image no one else had.
    I disagree. Trying too hard would imply something negative about it, when in reality it is IMO one of the most powerful of the series and you did it exceptionally well

I was pretty sure no one would shoot a water falls disappearing into an boring rock.
    Lucky for you, because now you have a superb photo that few if any other people have. And also, that rock is far from boring.

Why I posted it is another question. Quality assurance to see if anyone was quirky enough to like it?
    Good reasoning. I LOVE IT.

Kevin, you always have such a way with lighting, composition, and post-processing. A high percentage of your shots are emotionally moving to me. I recall a shot months ago of a stream through a woodland with backlighting that was unbelievable. Thank you for sharing your vision with us.

Another thought, I think it would be awesome to have a panoramic shot of the subject matter of #3 minus the foreground. So the rock, bridge/tunnel, waterfall, and some of the water, in a long pano. I think that would be amazing. Not sure of the location and what's been done with it, though.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

The remarkable aspect of this series for me is that there are so many perspectives that are equally strong yet so very, very different.

Not that it matters to anyone else, but I couldn't care less about whether a photograph is made to stop the action of a waterfall or to show the motion. I make my photographs of waterfalls the way I prefer and I respect everyone's reasons for making them the way they prefer.

Similarly, I couldn't care less whether a particular image with regard to the basics of style is unique or has been made a million times. In other words, though I like the photograph that displays the bottom of the waterfall hidden by the foreground boulder, whether no one has ever used that same composition or a million people have made it makes it no more nor no less enjoyable for me.

Just my opinion. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Real Name
    Greg

I like them all, too, Kevin. You have chosen interesting rocks / trees to include in the foreground.

#2 is probably my favourite: I wonder what it look like if you shot it with a much faster ss - freeze the water drops in the falls.

Real Name
    John

In terms of technique, you've got it down pat. - and you have produced some very nice images along the way. I have to admit that I am not so keen on no. 4 but perhaps I'm just an old traditionalist.

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    There is something a bit disorienting about the angular rock face in upper right of no.2. Removing maybe 10 percent of the top of that one eliminates that angular distraction and doesn't lose anything of interest.
    Excellent idea. Just did it, I think a significant improvement, Thanks.

Real Name
    Kevin

[QUOTE=FootLoose;325100
    #2 is probably my favourite: I wonder what it look like if you shot it with a much faster ss - freeze the water drops in the falls.[/QUOTE]

Definitely do-able. Will take my DoF calculator with me- I don't want to use any higher F stop than absolutely necessary to include the rocks and falls, as I don't want to ratchet up the ISO. I just can't stand noise that's not intentional. But happily, the a99 seems to be everything they promised- I haven't yet explored completely it's noise-generating tendencies, but thus far it has been outstanding. I have been very comfortably shooting at ISO 1600, something I never was happy with using the a77.

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Kevin: Please leave me some shots for me, at this rate there will be none left when I travel there in August.

Cheers:

Allan
    Plenty more to be had, Allan. The place could use some more fresh eyes. I'm anxious to see how you see and capture it.

Real Name
    Christina

Hi Kevin,

I think all of these photos are drop dead gorgeous, including the one with the rock (Even though it isn't my favourite of the group likely because the rock looks like it will be an obstacle for a swim beneath the waterfalls) and I also think we are fortunate to have someone like you share your photos for us to learn from. The colours, composition and tones that you capture are inspiring. One day I hope to try and attempt to capture photos as beautiful as yours.

Thank you.

Thanks, Christina, Donald and Chauncey.

Christina, I think #4 is a testimony to trying too hard to shoot an image no one else had. I was pretty sure no one would shoot a water falls disappearing into an boring rock. Why I posted it is another question. Quality assurance to see if anyone was quirky enough to like it? I don't know why I do what I do all the time. This is one of those times
    Last edited by Brownbear; 16th July 2013 at 01:49 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks so much, Christina. It certainly helps to have a gorgeous, stationary model. I've often mentioned to my wife how I'd like to take a trip to Vancouver Island to do some landscapes. I'll probably picking your brain for some suitable sites in the next few months. Thanks for viewing and your kind comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast