Thread: Mosquitoes in Alaska?

Real Name
    Dan

Mosquitoes in Alaska?

You decide....

Mosquitoes in Alaska?

This was part of a safety message at my workplace reminding people to put bug dope in their tool boxes.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: Mosquitoes in Alaska?

Probably not shot in Alaska; for one thing I can make out the figure of the worker so there are too few mosquitoes and secondly, Alaskan mosquitoes would carry him off to eat him in peace and quiet later.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Probably not shot in Alaska; for one thing I can make out the figure of the worker so there are too few mosquitoes and secondly, Alaskan mosquitoes would carry him off to eat him in peace and quiet later.
    Good points. I should have provided more information. The guy in the photo was wearing bug dope made of 100 percent deet, the wind was blowing 30 mph, and if you'll notice, the guy is tied off to the scaffolding to prevent the carry off scenario.

Real Name
    Richard

It is well documented that the Alaskan mosquitoes have attained their size by interbreeding with eagles...

Real Name
    Wayland ( aka. Gary Waidson )

There was a missionary that travelled to one of the remote Scottish Glens some time in the past.

I remember his story because of what the locals did to him when they were fed up of his preaching.

Apparently, they rowed him out to an island on the loch, stripped him naked and pegged him out for the midges.

I've met a few people I wouldn't mind doing that to over the years I can tell you.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wayland View Post
    Apparently, they rowed him out to an island on the loch, stripped him naked and pegged him out for the midges.
    That was my late mum's solution to all criminality. She thought prison was a waste of money.

Probably could equally apply to missionaries (although most missionaries went the the other way I think - out from Scotland to convert the heathens elsewhere in the world).

Real Name
    George Montgomery

I read somewhere that the mozzies in Alaska can kill young caribou by draining too much of their blood. There was a picture of a herd standing on the top of a wind-blown ridge in order to escape the pests.

Real Name
    wm c boyer

I somehow think that some of you should go back on your meds.

Real Name
    Matthew

Anytime mosquitoes come up in conversation, especially regarding Alaska, it always brings the Joel Sartore mosquito feet pic to mind. Warning, somewhat graphic: http://fineartamerica.com/images-sim...el-sartore.jpg

Real Name
    Dan

Ouchies, that pic is disturbing. I've heard that one about killing the baby caribou and have no idea as to the validity. What I can personally attest to having seen is that in the spring the caribou will walk out on the pack ice up north or onto frozen lakes in the interior in an attempt to get away from the bugs. Sometimes with fatal consequences when they fall through the thinning lake ice or drift away into the sea.