Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Log Cabin

Real Name
    Steve

Log Cabin

Shot this in the park today with the sigma 10mm. I got a good lesson with the perspective tool, to straighten the trees on both sides of the road. Both sides were leaning inwards I'm supprised i got it this straight and the cabin as well.

I like shooting in the snow. Can't wait for a good sunset with the snow on.

The colors are a little muted because the shot was backlit.

Comments welcome.

Log Cabin

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Log Cabin

Steve

2 thoughts to ponder:
    a) What would a crop on both sides (to take out the trees at both edges) look like? Or even just the left-hand one. In fact, I think it might be better with just the left-hand one cropped out. I find they are so dominant that they're taking my attention away from the road and the cabin, which is where I want my attention to be.
    b) What would a conversion to B & W look like? There are splashes of colour in the trees in the mid-ground that, again, are pulling my attention away from looking through the image to the cabin and beyond.

Love the concept and execution. You just want to go for a walk along that road, round the bend at the far end and discover what else is there.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Steve,

I appreciate you've had a struggle with the corrections on this, but I'm wondering if, after all that effort, it still needs a few degrees clockwise rotation?

I think I agree with Donald about the left hand tree, but only crop the nearest one, leave the very close second one in shot.

However, I'm still torn, or my eyeballs are, between following the road, or taking the track up to the cabin and car.

I have to say, I find this kind of shot very difficult myself, so I can't help much further.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

Not too shure about cropping, but here is a b&w.(not very good at that with gimp)

Log Cabin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Shot this in the park today with the sigma 10mm. I got a good lesson with the perspective tool, to straighten the trees on both sides of the road. Both sides were leaning inwards I'm supprised i got it this straight and the cabin as well.

I like shooting in the snow. Can't wait for a good sunset with the snow on.

The colors are a little muted because the shot was backlit.

Comments welcome.

Log Cabin
    Hi,
    1.It is not a shame to modify the shot to better it before You share it to the people.
    2.So crop tool to take out the left "sticks" for a easier entrance in the image;
    3.Ctrl J to obtain layer 1 where it will be applied future modifications;
    4.Lasso tool then move tool to cover the sky;
    5.Enhance,adjust light,levels,channels:green from 255 till 235 to increase green colour;
    6.The same movement with red channel on the left and central side;
    7.Sepia filter on the roads;
    8.Blending mode of the leyer 1 to overlay (from normal)
    Little green was importantly to give a"piece" of hope.

steveswood.jpg

Merry Christmas!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 22nd December 2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: add image inline

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

I agree it needs a few deg. of rotation to straighten the cabin.

I tried cropping the tree on the left, and it added some attention to the cabin, but gave the feeling of openness on the road. I already cropped quite a few trees out of the foreground to give the cabin a little more weight.

What i was going for in this shot, was the country road with all those tall snow covered trees. Along the way you check out the cabin, before you continue around the curve wondering what is around the bend. I wanted some weight to the cabin, but not so much it became 'THE' subject. This is one of those shots you have to view at full size. The smaller image doesn't look right. I'll have to post a larger version .

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Steve

It's your image and you go with what you like. I hope the suggestions gave food-for-thought. The joy of this sort of exchange is the generation of ideas and the opening up of alternatives for us to think about.

I think it's a lovely image. I want to stay in that cabin!!
    Last edited by Donald; 22nd December 2009 at 09:23 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Steve

It's your image and you go with what you like. I hope the suggestions gave food-for-thought. The joy of this sort of exchange is the generation of ideas and the opening up of alternatives for us to think about.

I think it's a lovely image. I want to stay in that cabin!!
    Thanks donald, it is very helpful to see how others view your work. From what i've heard so far, most want to see the cabin as the main subject. I should have shot it with a tighter lens as well as the 10mm. That way i have the option of wide or tight crop with a full resolution image.