Kevin

Forest Deep

Early morning in the woods. C&C appreciated

28mm 20sec @ f/25 ISO100 Polarized
    Forest Deep

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Forest Deep

Kevin, that is one nice photograph. I especially like the subtle colors, and the feeling of depth in the photo.

Bruce

Real Name
    Allan Short

Another great shot Kevin, are these taken in the Hocking Hill Park area. In mid August I am driving my daughters down to Ohio to see there mother for 5 day so I thought that I would spent some time there. I usually do not like the woods when there are all green and not in colour however you make me want to try my hand in your neck of the woods.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    John

You've caught the atmosphere beautifully in this shot. I like it .

Real Name
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Another great shot Kevin, are these taken in the Hocking Hill Park area. In mid August I am driving my daughters down to Ohio to see there mother for 5 day so I thought that I would spent some time there. I usually do not like the woods when there are all green and not in colour however you make me want to try my hand in your neck of the woods.

Cheers:

Allan

Thanks, Allan. It is indeed the Hocking Hills area. I'll PM you with details.

Real Name
    Paul

That is a very beautiful photograph, Kevin. I love the subdued colors and soft, misty light. It looks very cool, damp and peaceful. I like the look of the water cascading over the rocks. Beautifully composed, exposed and processed. Big WOW factor on this one.

Paul S

Real Name
    Terri

This is a beautiful photo, Kevin. I really hope people look at it in full size. At first I thought it was dark but then realized that the brightness on my monitor had been turned down. It actually has beautiful light. Congrats on this one. It's REALLY nice.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks very much, Paul and Terri.

Terri, it is a little dark, intentionally so, but I'll need to take a relook a little later. I hope my "dark phase" isn't one I'll regret later. But I give thanks for non-destructive editing

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Kevin, perfect capture of this scene's mood.

karm

Real Name
    Jon

Kevin, another lovely image. You keep posting these and I am going to have to head back there sooner than later

Real Name
    Dan

Really a nice image. I thought it was a bit dark until I looked at the larger version. You really captured the mood well. Looks like an interesting location with many opportunities for different compositions, lighting, etc.

My only negative comment is that the white "matte" adds nothing to the image and has the potential to turn people off. If you're concerned about displaying against a dark BG perhaps a bit more subtle border would suffice. I'd probably like it on a print, but on a monitor is just doesn't work IMO.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Kevin it is a terrific image. Very understated in both saturation and brightness but it looks exceptionally accurate. To look at it for any length of time I will have to go and get my jacket so I do not feel the chill.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    ...To look at it for any length of time I will have to go and get my jacket so I do not feel the chill.
    Exactly ...

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks very much, fellows. Glad it worked.

Dan, I was getting this ready for print and just included it in one of the framing options I'd tried. I think this is the first one I've ever posted framed, and I confess I struggle with deciding on framed or unframed for display. Don't know any rules, and haven't played with it enough to have any real "feel". Will soldier on. and hope experience clarifies as it usually does.

Thanks all for taking the time to view and comment.

Real Name
    Splashy

Your pictures really impress me, these are the most beautiful forest pictures I ever saw.

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks, Splashy.

Your a99 is a fantastic tool for it, also. I love my a77, but it is a different tool.

The key to forest images (I have learned after much frustration and continue to get fooled at times) is to learn the difference in the way our eyes see, and the camera sees. Sounds painfully obvious but it is so hard not to "assume" that our eyes are a fixed lense and our brains a CMOS processor. Our eyes and brain can flit effortlessly between objects and give them proper separation and individual focus and DoF, but the camera just mushes it all together. So I've learned to look for space within the space. I still get fooled, and disappointed with my translation into 2-D, but my success percentage has gradually crept up. Slowly... but joyfully.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    Really a nice image. I thought it was a bit dark until I looked at the larger version. You really captured the mood well. Looks like an interesting location with many opportunities for different compositions, lighting, etc.

My only negative comment is that the white "matte" adds nothing to the image and has the potential to turn people off. If you're concerned about displaying against a dark BG perhaps a bit more subtle border would suffice. I'd probably like it on a print, but on a monitor is just doesn't work IMO.
    So what you're saying is if you framed and matted the image, you wouldn't use a white matting? I display my images in a similar manner. The reason is it gives me a very good idea of how the image will look framed and matted. I can also go back and change the color to choose my matting for framing. A very useful way to display your images................it's how they would look on the wall.

Real Name
    Steve

That's a very nice image, kevin. That area is beautiful, I enjoy seeing your images of it.

On a side note, toning the white down a little , on the border, will help to keep it from jumping out at you so much.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    So what you're saying is if you framed and matted the image, you wouldn't use a white matting?....
    If you read my post I said I would probably like a print matted in white. Your next post is more to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    ...On a side note, toning the white down a little , on the border, will help to keep it from jumping out at you so much.
    Looks a bit brighter on screen than on paper

However in recent months I have gotten away from matting/framing and now print almost exclusively on float mounted aluminum or gallery wrapped canvas. Sometimes less is more.

We all have different taste on such things. Somewhat the point of posting photos for C/C isn't it?

Real Name
    Matthew

Superb yet again! The composition is excellent. Might be cliche to say this but the mood is "ethereal." I like your tip about learning to see the forest the way the camera sees vs the way our brains see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast