Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Can you name you files pre-shoot??

Real Name
    K

Can you name you files pre-shoot??

When I upload my pics the computer is always saying I need to choose one image to lose because there is already a file named dsc-2005.jpg or some such thing and then I have to choose to delete one of them. Is there some way I can do something before my shoot starts to give the new files a different name??

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Can you name you files pre-shoot??

Kristen,

Not sure what camera you have but with most DSLRs there is an option within the menus that lets you choose how you want your files to be numbered.

Real Name
    Terry

Or you could upload photos from individual shooting sessions to new individual folders.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Kristen - by default your camera goes through a naming convention that starts repeating itself. In the case of my cameras, that happens every 10000 images.

The best thing to do is to store your images on your computer in a different location from where they are downloaded so when you copy the the files, it won't overwrite existing ones.

By default, I store all of my files by the date I shot them (I generally use Bridge to manage my images and have set it up to do so); that way (unless I shoot more than 10000 image on a single day, there will never be duplicates.

I suggest you set up at least a rudimentary storage scheme to prevent this from happening.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Another alternative is to automatically rename the images as they are being downloaded from your camera or memory card to your computer. Doing so requires software to make that happen, but there are a lot of free applications that will effectively do that.

I'm not sure if this is what your problem is but Breezebrowser Downloader Pro will rename all your files before you download them. It has a myriad of naming formats and will also copy them to multiple locations/drives. I hope this is useful.

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

Manfred is quite correct but there is usually a setting which toggles sequential numbering on or off. If you have it set to off, the filing numbering system will reset every time you format the card or put in a new card. Set it to 'on' and the numbering system will carry on in sequence irrespective of the number of times you format and until such time as the trip described by Manfred kicks in.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Alandb View Post
    I'm not sure if this is what your problem is but Breezebrowser Downloader Pro will rename all your files before you download them. It has a myriad of naming formats and will also copy them to multiple locations/drives. I hope this is useful.
    This usually works for me (rename and date) whether I use Scanner or Camera Wizard (Windows) or my Nikon Transfer program.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Different cameras different problems I guess but since I have had several Panasonic cameras which all preceed the number with a 'P' I advanced the 'folder' first three numbers so that they are different for each camera. P113**** is my current MFT number which started at P111****... a bit tedious when I bought the latest camera but I got there I think I had to re-format ten times to advance the folder number, taking a gash shot for each folder before re-formatting, that was nearly a year ago and I forget ... sorry. It has been different for each model Since I also have files from two Canons and a Nikon it gets a bit complicated. One Canon and the Nikon still current.