Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: LR5 Radial Filter

Real Name
    Bruce

LR5 Radial Filter

Here is an example of the radial filter in LR5. This may not be the best subject for it; however it does show the effect it has.
    Bruce

LR5 Radial Filter

Real Name
    Terri

Re: LR5 Radial Filter

Hi Bruce. Is it possible to post the pic before the filter was applied so we can really see the difference?

Real Name
    Bruce

Terri, this is the pic before the filter was applied. You will notice (in pic #1) in the circumference of the filter everything remains bright; the rest of the image outside of the filter becomes darker - depending on how far down you dial the exposure setting.
    Also, you can invert this effect if you wish. Bruce

LR5 Radial Filter

Real Name
    Bruce

Here is another example of the radial filter.
    #1 (before)
    LR5 Radial Filter

Real Name
    Bruce

#2 (after)
    LR5 Radial Filter

I haven't used the radial filter yet, but I've used the Adjustment Brush to achieve the same effect. Set the Exposure positive to lighten; negative to darken (dodging and burning in the film days). There is more control over the shape of the area modified with the brush than the radial filter which is elliptical/round. With the brush, the area can be any shape and the intensity can be varied by using a low density and multiple passes to increase the effect where required. By contrast, the Radial filter seems a bit limited, although quicker/easier to use.

Glenn

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    I haven't used the radial filter yet, but I've used the Adjustment Brush to achieve the same effect. Set the Exposure positive to lighten; negative to darken (dodging and burning in the film days). There is more control over the shape of the area modified with the brush than the radial filter which is elliptical/round. With the brush, the area can be any shape and the intensity can be varied by using a low density and multiple passes to increase the effect where required. By contrast, the Radial filter seems a bit limited, although quicker/easier to use.

Glenn
    Glenn, thank you for the information.

Bruce

Real Name
    Mike Bareham

I can't disagree with Bruce's point although I have found the radial filter very useful for subtle vignettes and for blurring parts of the image. You can of course use the tool several times on an image although one should be aware of the masking effect of previous applications of the tool.

Real Name
    Robert

Just adding two quick hints for Radial Filter-
    1. Shift+M (to select R-Filter), move mouse cursor onto image, Hold down CTRL and Double-Click left mouse button- This creates an oval that fits exactly within the boundaries of the image. Great for an easy Vignette!
    2. With an oval filter defined and active (the 'dot' is dark), hold down CTRL+ALT and mouse drag the spot to another position- This copies the filter. Great if you want two areas with the radial filter the same size- eyes?