Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Five Bottle Necks in B&W

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Five Bottle Necks in B&W

I am really enjoying working with my friends' glass vessels and look forward to making many more photos of them. These two photos tell very different stories for me and I don't have a preference for one over the other, at least not at the moment.

The more I look at this setting, the more I personify the glass objects and see them having a group conversation. (Perhaps that's an indication that I need to get a life. )

Five Bottle Necks in B&W

Five Bottle Necks in B&W
    Last edited by Mike Buckley; 9th July 2013 at 03:34 AM.

Real Name
    Shane

Re: Five Bottle Necks in B&W

Very nice Mike, both are lovely. I prefer the 2nd as I find that in the first the almost whole vessel in the upper right is very dominant making the image somewhat top heavy. I sense more balance in the second I really 'get' the idea of a conversation.

I always enjoy reading your insightful comments, Shane. Thanks!

Real Name
    Greg

I find this very interesting. Five bottles with similar openings but because of the arrangement one appears to be 'transmitting' and the others 'receiving'. I agree with Shane about the dominance of the bottle in the first picture, and that coupled with the slightly darker light suggests something nefarious is going on. eg a crime boss instructing his boys what to do next.

In the second one, which is more balanced because the heavier, darker base of the dominant bottle is absent, the bottles seem to be less suspicious. Possibly because the lighter light, I get the sense of gossiping.

Fascinating comments, Greg! I also have the impression in the first one that the large vessel in the top right area is "in charge" whereas the second photo makes me think that perhaps "everyone" is on equal footing. I hadn't thought that the greater amount of dark tones in the first one might imply something nefarious. Now that you have mentioned it, I probably won't be able to get that out of my mind.