Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Salty Afternoon

Real Name
    Greg

Salty Afternoon

An hour earlier I had been on the beach on the far right of this picture shooting some seascapes. I was pretty surprised when I saw how dense the salt spray was this afternoon. The background is usually blue-green mountains (see bg here http://i43.tinypic.com/71in1s.jpg ), but here it is grey because of the late afternoon sun (trying) shining through the spray. While I took this shot as a 'record' of how bad the salt is, I like the colours and the affect of the light falling through the spray. (Best viewed big)

(I took this shot from about 1km away facing into the sunset, with canon's 50-250mm kit lens which I think says something about the quality of this lens)

Salty Afternoon

Real Name
    Bruce

Re: Salty Afternoon

Greg, I like the photo; however there is something about that small tree in the middle bothers me. I do not know a fix for it.

Bruce

Real Name
    Greg

Bruce, do you mean the one bending to the left or the much smaller sapling just to the right of it?

Something about this shot reminds of the little old faded photos my parents had of this area, taken when they were very young. So I decided to play around with it as a 'monochrome' ... something I haven't done before, and don't really know what I am doing

Salty Afternoon

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by FootLoose View Post
    Bruce, do you mean the one bending to the left or the much smaller sapling just to the right of it?

Something about this shot reminds of the little old faded photos my parents had of this area, taken when they were very young. So I decided to play around with it as a 'monochrome' ... something I haven't done before, and don't really know what I am doing

Salty Afternoon
    Greg, I am talking about the larger tree to the right (it is in a gap framed by two larger trees) of the smaller one. When I view this photo, my eye is immediately drawn to it; find it distracting.
    There is a possibility that this tree is growing this way, and not affected by the windy conditions.

Bruce

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

I sure do like the mood of the first one. Consider getting rid of all of the people except the two on the beach at the far right. Perhaps also tone down the bright blue water so it has more of the muted look of the trees. I like all of the trees.

Real Name
    Greg

That tree is a different species, Bruce, and it is not in the same line as the pines. You can't tell from this shot because of telephoto compression, but it is about 20m further back. There are a few them about the place and they are all similarly bent.

Mike, thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a play around with it later on.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Greg, for my tastes, the yellowish tint of the salt spray and the light cyan water do not go well with the green in the trees. If you like the colors, just disregard this posting. I know this is purely personal preference.

Real Name
    Greg

No problem, Ken. The colours are not manipulated though, that is how it was on the day.

I've toned down the cyan and removed those pesky surfers

Salty Afternoon
    Last edited by FootLoose; 8th July 2013 at 02:09 AM.