Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Must have photos from Yorkshire Dales

Real Name
    David

Must have photos from Yorkshire Dales

Hi all,

In a few weeks time, we (my wife and I) will be spending our holiday right under the Yorkshire Dales (near Keighley to be precise). We already planned to do some hiking in the Yorkshire Dales, and having purchased a tripod, I want to make some landscape and running water / waterfall shots.
    We also planned to go to Skipton Castle, where I hope to take some good landscape style photos as well.

But since I have never been there and some of you guys have, I wanted to ask what the must have shots are in that neighbourhood? (and must have sightseeing? but since this is a photo forum, I won't ask that :P)

David.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Must have photos from Yorkshire Dales

Quote Originally Posted by dnperfors View Post
    Hi all,

In a few weeks time, we (my wife and I) will be spending our holiday right under the Yorkshire Dales (near Keighley to be precise). We already planned to do some hiking in the Yorkshire Dales, and having purchased a tripod, I want to make some landscape and running water / waterfall shots.
    We also planned to go to Skipton Castle, where I hope to take some good landscape style photos as well.

But since I have never been there and some of you guys have, I wanted to ask what the must have shots are in that neighbourhood? (and must have sightseeing? but since this is a photo forum, I won't ask that :P)

David.
    Hi David

I'm not a resident but I have visited the area briefly. I would recomend the Aysgarth Falls which is a good place for sightseeing and photography.

Dave

Real Name
    David

Thank you Dave, I will put the Aysgath Falls on the list

The locals call Yorkshire "God's Own County". This should give you a clue that it's hard to miss good landscapes in this part of the world.

Near Skipton try and get to Bolton Abbey and from follow the river up to The Strid

Asygarth falls have already been mentioned. Then there's Malham Cove and nearby Gordale Scar. Or there's Ingleton Waterfalls. Caves? How about Ingleborough or White Scar.

The list of must see places in Yorkshire is long.

Ken

Real Name
    Brian

I used to live in Ilkley years ago. The moor is well worth a visit. the northern dales to me were more interesting and rural. Keighley is more in the industrial area going towards Leeds and Bradford.
    York is well worth a visit, an old Roman city with superb architecture.
    And put your body around some real Yorkshire ale, what ever the weather that will put a sparkle in the hols.
    Above all have a good time. It's my favorite part of the UK.

Real Name
    David

Thanks "I'm stuck" and Brian, we have added those places to the list as well. I also printed out some walking routes in the Yorkshire Dales, probably those will bring us to stunning places as well
    I will post some pictures when I am back (or when I am still staying there...)

Real Name
    Ken Francis

Don't forget Robin Hoods Bay area its ( I think) outside the park but well worth a visit and a try at a shot
    Not been there for a good few years though

Kenny F

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    Don't forget Robin Hoods Bay area its ( I think) outside the park
    Robin Hoods Bay is on the east coast, which is no where near the Yorkshire Dales.

Ken

Real Name
    David

Well, Bolton Abbey was a success, even found a waterfall there and spend some time there taking photo's of it. Here is an example

Must have photos from Yorkshire Dales
    My first waterfall by David Perfors, on Flickr

Real Name
    Kevin

David,

Very nice image and I envy your trip. I've not yet been to that area but have an abiding fondness for it from reading all the James Harriott books and seeing all the BBC series - I have the complete CD series and highly recommend it. Genetics may predispose but notwithstanding, I'm a huge Anglophile.

Real Name
    Dave

Watch out for the locals though. Never forget "You can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much". (Ducks)

Mind you, I was born across the border in Lancashire, so I might be a tad prejudiced!