Thread: It's All About Light...

Real Name
    Joe

It's All About Light...

Last Friday I was out at a nearby nature reserve when I came upon this owl. The sun was behind the owl backlighting it. I took one shot using spot metering exposing for the owl.

It's All About Light...

Above is that exposure SOC ( straight out of the camera). The sky is blown out and the owl from this side lacks contrast due to the backlighting. The only possible post processing from this side would have been to go High Key, turning the sky to white and exposing for the owl. I slowly moved along the path to get to the other side of the owl hoping for better light and angle to photograph the bird. As I did so the owl flew across the path landing nearby.

It's All About Light...

Above is the capture of the owl where it landed shown SOC. The light is better, the background much better. and the pose of the owl much more interesting. Below are three of the images I captured and worked up.

Barred Owl

It's All About Light...

It's All About Light...

It's All About Light...

Real Name
    Steve

Re: It's All About Light...

Beautiful shots joe, and an excellent example of how changing your angle to the subject ,can make all the difference in the world.

If you can get your subject below the horizon, you can get some really cool shots, backlit . If not, I prefer a front crossing light, when the light is soft.( Like you have chosen in the last 3 shots.)

Real Name
    Terri

These are beautiful shots, Joe. And thanks for always being in teaching mode. Much appreciated for us with less experience! An owl is still on my bucket list!

Real Name
    John

Why am I never as lucky as that Joe. Great shots, particularly the last three.

About the first shot apply Unsharp Mask with Amount and Radius at the same value.In that case around 60-70.I other situations it would be more less.This is a method,in PSE or CS,to remove the mist not to better the sky. Thanks.

It's All About Light...