Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon D7000 Focus points question

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

Nikon D7000 Focus points question

HI All has anyone had problems with the multi focus points on the Nikon D7000 regards pat

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

re: Nikon D7000 Focus points question

Quote Originally Posted by pat brennan View Post
    HI All has anyone had problems with the multi focus points on the Nikon D7000 regards pat
    Hi Pat, could you describe the problems you had with your multi focus points. This way we can have an idea of what our guys with D7000 did to remedy those problems. Thanks

HTH

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

Quote Originally Posted by nimitzbenedicto View Post
    Hi Pat, could you describe the problems you had with your multi focus points. This way we can have an idea of what our guys with D7000 did to remedy those problems. Thanks

HTH
    Hi Victor Sometimes when i select multi focus points they do not become active and are not displayed in view finder

Real Name
    Dan

Hi Victor Sometimes when i select multi focus points they do not become active and are not displayed in view finder
    Only one point will display in the viewfinder at any given time. How are you determining that they are not "active"? What focus mode and focus point selection are you using? For example, AF-C (continuous focus mode), d9(9pt dynamic).

You may be under a misconception as to how the multi-point focus system works.

Real Name
    J stands for John

Re: Nikon D7000 Focus points question

I don't shoot with a Nikon but occasionally when I press the wrong button or something the camera comes up with three or four squares which I assume it is using those areas to focus with..... so I hurriedly change settings to use just a single point and after assessing the scene decide which part should the point of primary focus and aim my single point focus at that point and possibly re-compose while still holding half trigger [ I use half trigger to establish focus almost always]... although my single point can be anywhere on the screen that feature is not used except for one occasion which had a special need and 99.999% I use a single centre spot focus. It is possible that this 'old dog' is reluctant to learn new tricks but that is how I work and long ago realised that a digital camera has more features, as it caters for 'everybody', than I need and many of which can be safely ignored
    Nikon D7000 Focus points question
    Knowing or thinking one knows what one can do in editing also can affect one's approach to a photograph.
    I assume somebody using multi-point focvusing would hope that the camera would realise that I wanted the centre rail as my far focus and the hole in the timber side of the railway wagon as the near point. Having little knowledge of DoF tables or interest in them I took two shots using centre point focus. One of the timber wagon side nad another focusing on the rail. The wood was perhaps three inches away and after finding focus on the wood I re-composed for the shot and the second shot was of the rail quite a way behind six feet or more from memory. In the old days pre-digital I would have ignored the shot as too difficult but with digital and editing it was fairly easy.
    Last edited by jcuknz; 4th July 2013 at 07:47 AM.

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Pat,

I get it to mean the "nulti-focus" points you mention is also known as "Auto Area Mode". It's the white rectangle icon.
    If so, then usually the camera automatically selects the points closest to it. For instance, when using "landscape mode".
    Several red dots light up briefly and don't show up on the viewfinder again. We can not select focus points in this mode.

If we want to select the focus points ourselves, then, we can use the Single, Dynamic or 3D modes.

HTH

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Pat - it really depends on what you are shooting. The different focus modes all have very specific uses. I tend to use multi-point for general shooting (landscapes, city scapes, etc); continuous servo when the action is moving towards or away from me and single point focus when doing portraits or wildlife shooting.

If I try to use multi-focus for portraits, wild-life or action shots where the action is not in the same direction as the sensor plane; I will have problems; but that's why I don't use this focus mode for those types of shots...

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Pat,

Check p.96 of your manual which gives a more detailed explanation of your 39pt. Auto-Area mode.
    (In Auto-Area mode, the pts light up briefly only.)

It also explains the other Single pt, and the 9pt and 21 pt. Dynamic modes.

HTH
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 4th July 2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: reply to specific question of Pat

Real Name
    donaldjledet

Hi Pat,
    Also check out nikonites.com they also have some great people over there who can help you.

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

Hi everyone sorry for not answering sooner ,I T problems on my side so here is the latest update when camera on Af_A auto no focus points light up when focusing. i have had camera back to where i purchased it and now it is working properly as when i first got it.Thanks to everyone for their help.regards pat

Real Name
    Charles

Pat,

Get yourself a copy of Darrell Young's "Mastering the Nikon D7000". It explains everything much more clearly than the Nikon manual that came with your camera, and it is exceedingly "readable". I am sure you will find out a heck of a lot more about your camera. I got my copy from Amazon (UK), about 20€ I think.

Real Name
    Pat Brennan

thanks Charles will do
    Quote Originally Posted by charzes44 View Post
    Pat,

Get yourself a copy of Darrell Young's "Mastering the Nikon D7000". It explains everything much more clearly than the Nikon manual that came with your camera, and it is exceedingly "readable". I am sure you will find out a heck of a lot more about your camera. I got my copy from Amazon (UK), about 20€ I think.