Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Flowers for Ora

Real Name
    Judi

Flowers for Ora

About a month ago we hosted a memorial service for my father-in-law, Ora, who had passed away after a long and good life. When everyone had gone home, what to do with the flowers? Take photos, of course.

This wilted rose is a bit overdone, I believe, but I liked the textures with this processing. It almost looks like cloth.

Flowers for Ora

Flowers for Ora

C&C welcome.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Flowers for Ora

Hi Judi,

I think I'd like to have seen just a little more either side, but it is certainly a subject worth shooting - and possibly re-shooting; I don't know if you dare move it, for fear of the petals falling but ...

It looks like you shot it in mixed lighting; daylight to our right and tungsten above, the aperture was fairly wide at f/3.5.
    If you can; move it closer to the window and perhaps try to reflect some fill into the shadows on the dark side with a sheet of paper?

I think you got the focusing dead right to balance the narrow DoF, but hopefully nearer the window will give more light and allow an aperture of f/8 or f/11 to be used - might need a tripod though, to prevent the shutter speed falling too much (1/20s at iso 200 above).

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Judi

Re: Flowers for Ora

Thanks Dave -

You are correct about the lighting and I do appreciate your suggestions. Sadly this flower is long gone, but I will try your suggestions on another victim.

Judi