Thread: Photo Copyright/Metadata

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Photo Copyright/Metadata

Hi folks,

Could anyone offer any advice on copyright as to when adding metadata, ie how is "c" added and do I have the right to use it in type in an image? I understand the legalities of general photographic copyright but I am fairly new to the web (I know, what a dinosaur!) so I'm a bit stumped when confronted by the IPTC Core in CS3 when asked for Copyright Notice and then Copyright Status.

Mark.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: Copyright/Metadata

Sorry by "c" obviously I mean the © symbol. Is there a keyboard shortcut or do you need to register somewhere?

Mark

Alt + 0169 that'll give you ©

In Canada you automatically have the copyright on any work you have done. There's no registration required. Sorry, don't know about else where.

Real Name
    Ian

As the creator of the picture you are the copyright owner, but if you are selling pictures, you can sell differing rights to reproduction, or completely sell the copyright.

Be aware that in Britain, if you are on private land eg business premises, you might need the owners permission to photograph and they may attach conditions regards reproduction and even want a cut of the proceeds if you are selling independently. This is often a topic of discussion in photo mags. (I think the National Trust in Britain now restrict / want you to obtain written permission and possibly a cut of the proceeds if you are selling commercially.)

However if you are photographing people, you might need a model release otherwise you could find yourself paying out to them if the picture sells well. However this is standard practice, and you can get more info on this and other copyright issues from the numerous photographers associations.

Be aware that some folk especially on the internet are inclined to try and use your images for free or worse still pass them of as their own! At the end of the day, if someone is determined to steal you work, they will do so, but at least by flagging up that the work is your copyright, you are asserting that right.

Hence the need to watermark your images.

You should provide metadata for reputable sources, after all a magazine editor dealing with thousands of pictures may lose the scrap of paper with your details on. therefore you should state the limits of reproduction and full details within the metadata.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Re: Photo Copyright/Metadata

Cheers Guys,

That's great stuff.

Mark