Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Post-processing tips..

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Post-processing tips..

Hi ALL,

Below is the same dragonfly as posted earlier in this forum but shot at different angle. It was taken with 10 frames at diferrent focus points . I stacked this image using PS CS5. My question is the dark patches behind the wing I find still distracting. Is there any possibilities I can remove or improve them and the background too? Hope the experts could assist. Thanks in advance.

Post-processing tips..
    Last edited by Walj; 28th June 2013 at 04:34 AM.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Post-processing tips..

Have you tried editing the most distant focused layers using dodge shaddows to lighten the dark areas and see if the software maps the wing details over it? I suspect with a bit of mucking around it could work fairly well - certainly worth a try. It can be done quite laboriously on the final image using masks etc but I think fooling the stacking software into doing it would be far more sneaky, much more fun and probably better.

Real Name
    Walad Jam

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    Have you tried editing the most distant focused layers using dodge shaddows to lighten the dark areas and see if the software maps the wing details over it? I suspect with a bit of mucking around it could work fairly well - certainly worth a try. It can be done quite laboriously on the final image using masks etc but I think fooling the stacking software into doing it would be far more sneaky, much more fun and probably better.
    Paul - Hi,

Many thanks for viewing and your feedback. Yes! I did use the dodge as you can see the effect in between the left wing but still not good enough to me. I will probably try with the other method as you suggested. With regard to stacking software, which particular one are you referring to?

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Hi Walad I tried it once using CS6 as per online tutorials but it was more out of curiosity rather than trying to achieve an amazing result. There are a few others on this site that I understand have tried or use specific software to do the stacking. If you do a search on this site you should come across a number of posts referring to the technique.