Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Watching the Roll

Real Name
    Homer

Watching the Roll

I shot a charity golf event last weekend. I spent most of the day on the 8th tee shooting group and drive shots. Ocassionally I was able to break away to the 9th hole and shoot the fairway or the green. To me, this shot just sums up the sport of golf.

GH2 with 14-140 lens, 'Serge Ramelli Effect' applied in Lr4.

Watching the Roll

Re: Watching the Roll

Hi Boatman, BigDJim here and I'm glad to find another golf photographer. I do a lot of work for The First Tee, non-profit organization promoting golf to kids while instilling life values (honesty, courtesy, etc). Just signed up here and am in the throes of learning the ropes and your my first communique. Hope we can stay in touch and share "golf course" war stories.

Real Name
    Homer

Hi bigDJim.

I can't say I do a lot of golf, I shot a couple of events my company was promoting on a very casual basis. This recent event was the first time I did an event as the 'offical' photographer. I have posted all the photos at www.tinyurl.com/mcxepe9 and we are hoping to sell quite a few to raise more charity money.

This strategy has me thinking that this could be a workable arrangement: Take a reasonable flat fee to shoot the event then turn over all the print sales to the organization. Properly promoted, so that you generate good sales, and you could more than cover the cost of day's photography work.

Of course, I don't know that it would work, but it seems like an interesting idea.

Homer

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

You're right Homer. If anyone ever asked what the game of golf at the amateur level was about, just show them this photograph. Excellent capture.

That effect you put on it feels like it creates a bit of over-tonemapping. But that's just personal taste. It doesn't mean anything in the context of the brilliance of 'capturing the moment'.

Real Name
    Homer

You are correct, Donald. It is over tone-mapped. Isn't that what Serge Ramelli is all about? I like the effect, though I confess I'm overusing it. Eventually, I'll learn to tone-down the tone-mapping and get something in between that works well.

Real Name
    Greg

I think you have captured the essence of the game here, Homer. It is a very good composition, I am drawn straight to the men, and then follow their eyes to see what they are looking at. The only thing that bothers me is that I don't know where the hole is: is the ball on the lip of the cup, or does it still have some way to travel.