Thread: ....found this helpful

....found this helpful

Anyone tell me why lately I'm seeing 'so and so found this helpful' beneath photos in the mini comps, while voting is still underway?
    Is this an additional way of voting (twice)?
    How can a photo, still 'in competition' be found to be helpful? Seems to me a not-so-subtle way of boosting votes. In any event, I don't bother to vote.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: ....found this helpful

I'm reasonably new around here but it seems like some people use that function as a "like" button. Either that or they find sarcasm helpful because that seems to be the type of posts where I tend to get the "helpful votes". Not in the mini-comps of course.

But why would that keep you from voting? If you're taking the time to look, might as well go ahead and vote

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Jack I think it's frowned upon. The rules for the monthly comps state

"4. Please don't make comments on competition entries (or "Likes" / "Helpful") until after the winners have been announced."

The rules for the mini-comps state

"Notes: Please do not request feedback or comment on other images until after voting has closed, as it could be unfair to other entrants."

It's just common sense really but I think it's usually a result of people not thinking it through rather than some ulterior motive.

Dave

PS : One other thing on this topic, not specifically related to comps. When I use my tablet for viewing, it is quite easy to in-advertently select the "found this helpful" button !

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernFocus View Post
    I'm reasonably new around here but it seems like some people use that function as a "like" button. Either that or they find sarcasm helpful because that seems to be the type of posts where I tend to get the "helpful votes". Not in the mini-comps of course.

But why would that keep you from voting? If you're taking the time to look, might as well go ahead and vote
    Dan, if in fact it is being used as a 'like' button it still is inappropriate while voting is in progress. After the voting closes, sure why not. But at least let people express their view by actually voting. Also, I wonder if there isn't some reciprocity occurring wherein I'll find your photo helpful if you'll find mine helpful.

Dave, I agree one is not supposed to comment until the voting is over. Funny, I was complaining about people finding it helpful and in one of the underway comps this morning, someone took it upon himself to actually critique a number of the entries while, of course, voting is underway. I guess I should just stop altogether tilting at windmills.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by flashback View Post
    ...I wonder if there isn't some reciprocity occurring wherein I'll find your photo helpful if you'll find mine helpful.
    To what end? Did I miss the notification of the million dollar grand prize for the highest helpful vote count?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

To what end? Did I miss the notification of the million dollar grand prize for the highest helpful vote count?
    We're still finalising the sponsorship, Dan. Don't think we're going to get the Leica M for first prize!

I suppose to some people, it's important. To others, maybe not so much. Mostly, it's about keeping a level playing field. Good luck on winning that Leica.