Thread: Playing with shutter speed..and my fave pic so far!!

Real Name
    Claudio

Playing with shutter speed..and my fave pic so far!!

Hi all...i was playing around with my camera for once instead of reading. About time i got out there..anyway..so started playing in shutter priority... i gotta say..im pretty proud of this image..the idea anyway.Can anyone please give any C+C on how to improve this image? I've cropped a bit out on left otherwise tap fell dead centre... and i used silver efex again(LOVE IT!!) Can anyone please give me any and all feedback on this image?
    Thanks All CiC members!!

Nikon D5100 SS 1/13, F5.6 ISO 140 adjusted lvls in photoshop then used silver efex for high contrast and added some custom adjustable points to bring out the running water a bit

Real Name
    Jim

Re: Playing with shutter speed..and my fave pic so far!!

Why don't you tell us your intention?

Real Name
    Claudio

Hi Jim, i think my main aim is to get a good crop outta this image. I only really just started with photography..so when i went out today it was more just to learn using shutter speeds..so i have another image of this water running at higher shutter speed as well..so i achieved that goal..but now i like this imge of mine..just seems too..i dunno...running water (LEFT) and tap shadow (RIGHT) Seems to parallel maybe?

Real Name
    Claudio

I even tried this for something different

Real Name
    Nigel

Hi Claudio.

I am happy to see that you are experimenting around with shutter speeds and so on.

The problem I have was when I initially looked at the first photo, I had no idea what it was. At first, I actually thought that the image was some kind of plastic bottle, so I think I would have preferred seing the actual tap with the water coming out.

I would suggest you have a river or a waterfall you could try this out with, providing you have a tripod.

I dont think cropping this any more would work either.

This is only my opinion though.

If you really can only work with the tap, please consider doing it as portrait and including the tap and the water, and even where the water is landing or, allow the water to land on a rock and see what results you see when you see how the water falls to the rock and then into the basin/drain/bucket or whatever.

Makes sense?

Real Name
    Claudio

Yeh!! I like the idea of seeing what efffect i get if its hitting the rock and coming off of it... will give that whole scene a go, thanks Nigel!!

Real Name
    Claudio

Now that u mention it..it does look like a bottle...wonder if i could try something with that??

Thanks to Nigel my image is now named Bottled Water

I live a stone's throw away from Cuyahoga National Park (NE, Ohio)..

Claudio, I think you hit on something interesting. This image looks like spun glass shaped like a bottle. Definitely something to play with. I might try adding some source of light to the image. Don't worry about the final product of your efforts. You'll learn a lot about shutter speed and might end up with a cool image.

karm